Subject: [ietf-types] Registration of application/oxps MIME type (Was: Request for final approval for OpenXPS MIME type)

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:43:06 -0500

I am re-posting this with a new thread because I would like to get some 
confirmation from the list that this is OK. I suspect it is, but I'm 
going to postpone bringing before the IESG until the May 12 telechat to 
give the list some time to review.

The proposal is to register application/oxps instead of 
application/OpenXPS to better align with the Open XML Paper Specification.

pr

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:     Re: [ietf-types] Request for final approval for OpenXPS 
MIME type
Date:     Mon, 25 Apr 2011 16:09:20 +0000
From:     Brian Clubb <[email-masked]>
To:     Franklin Tse <[email-masked]>, Pete Resnick 
<[email-masked]>
CC:     [email-masked]' <[email-masked]>

Franklin,

The decision is to revert the registration back to application/oxps and 
discuss in committee if we wish to also register application/OpenXPS in 
the future as a separate registration.  I appreciate you bringing this 
to our attention.

I am attaching a final revision of the template and including in the 
message below.

Thanks!
Brian

<template>
Type name: application/oxps
Subtype name:  Standards Tree - OpenXPS
Required parameters:  N/A
Optional parameters:  N/A
Encoding considerations:  binary

Security considerations:
OpenXPS uses ZIP compression as specified in .ZIP File Format 
Specification from PKWARE, Inc., version 6.2.0 (2004).  ZIP compressed 
XML requires parsing untrusted XML data and untrusted ZIP data.  The 
consumer is responsible for validating the .zip archive, the XML 
structure, and the resource content.  Per spec, there should be no 
active content provided as part of the OpenXPS format.  The consumer 
must ensure that no malicious active content is erroneously provided in 
the OpenXPS document.  Valid content is described in the EMCA-388 
specification 
(http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-388.htm).  Especially 
take note of section E.3, which describes steps that can be taken to 
validate the contents of the payload.

Interoperability considerations:
application/oxps documents are specified by the XML schemas standardized 
in ECMA-388.  Applications and drivers currently producing/consuming 
Microsoft XPS content cannot directly produce/consume OpenXPS.  Changes 
are required to address differences in the two specifications, such as 
namespace, print ticket usage, use of JPEG XR, etc.
To ensure interoperability, the clipboard format must be a complete 
OpenXPS file with .oxps extension.

Published specification:
The published standard ECMA-388 is available at:
http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-388.htm

Applications that use this media type:
The application/oxps MIME type can be used to identify CSTA XML 
(ECMA-388) instance documents.  No published applications or print 
drivers currently use OpenXPS.  The intent is for any application or 
driver that can currently produce/consume Microsoft XPS to also adopt 
OpenXPS.  Examples of such applications would include but are not 
limited to:  Microsoft XPS Viewer, Microsoft XPS Document Writer, 
Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.

Additional information:
   Magic number(s):  see application/zip.  Note that is it a requirement 
of the consumer to ensure that the contents of the ZIP archive is a 
valid OpenXPS structure.
   File extension(s): .oxps
   Macintosh file type code(s):  not available

   Windows Clipboard Name: "OpenXPS"
   Macintosh Uniform Type Identifier: org.ecma.oxps conforms to 
com.pkware.zip-archive

Person & email address to contact for further information:
Ecma International Helpdesk
Rue du Rhone 114
CH-1204 Geneva
Switzerland
Ecma International Helpdesk<[email-masked]>

Intended usage: COMMON

Restrictions on usage:  N/A

Author:  The ECMA-388 Standard is developed and maintained by the Ecma 
Technical Committee TC46.

Change controller:  The ECMA-388 Standard is developed and maintained by 
the Ecma Technical Committee TC46.
</template>

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Clubb
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2011 10:30 PM
To: Franklin Tse
Subject: RE: [ietf-types] Request for final approval for OpenXPS MIME type

Franklin,

Let me check with the working group and reply back.

Thanks!
Brian

Sent from my Windows Phone

-----Original Message-----
From: Franklin Tse
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2011 9:57 PM
To: Brian Clubb
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Request for final approval for OpenXPS MIME type

Dear Brian,

I noticed that Section E.1 of the current Open XML Paper Specification 
recommends "application/oxps" as the content type for .oxps documents, 
which is different from the content type you are registering. Is it the 
decision of the working group? Will interoperability be an issue?

Thanks,
Franklin