Subject: [ietf-types] about media subtypes ike-esp and ike-esp-udpencap

From: Makoto Saito <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:29:57 +0900

Dear Administrators,

I asked you the registration of two media subtypes, application/ike-esp
and application/ike-esp-udpencap (from RFC 6193) the other day,
and I'm wondering how the process is going.
The RFC was released correctly, but these two subtypes were incorrectly
registered as SDP attributes as follows:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/sdp-parameters

Instead, I think ike-esp and ike-esp-udpencap should be registered in
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/

Is there anything I can do for fixing them?
Just in case, I attach the registration templates again.

I appreciate if you kindly take care of my concern.

Best regards,

Makoto

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:20:00 +0200

>Is there anything I can do for fixing them?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6193 would be the RFC in question. If you
really want to register Internet media types (and perhaps unregister the
SDP attributes) the simple way to do that would be making a new RFC that
obsolete RFC 6193 with the desired changes. It would be helpful though
if you could explain why you think these identifiers should be Internet
media types (just to be clear, media types would make sense if you, say,
keep "ike-esp" files on your hard drive; it's not clear to me that this
is the case here).
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Makoto Saito <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 00:48:14 +0900

Hello Bjoern,

Thank you for your reply to my question.
Actually, we are not intending to revise RFC6193.
In the RFC, we described ike-esp and ike-esp-udpencap as
media subtypes: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6193#section-10
but they were registered as SDP attributes.

Before publication, we exchanged a few mails with Alexey Melnikov
about how we can register these identifiers as follows:

(2011/03/08 6:53), Alexey Melnikov wrote:
 > Makoto Saito wrote:
 >
 >> Dear Alexey,
 >
 > Dear Makoto,
 >
 >> Thank you very much for your comments.
 >> I modified the template as attached, following your advices
 >> (I also replaced RFC 4306 by RFC 5996 for IKEv2).
 >> Is it sufficiently ready for submission?
 >> If so, I'm going to send it to [email-masked].
 >> Please let me know if there are any steps before that.
 >
 > [...]
 >
 >> Applications that use this media type:
 >>
 >> The ike-esp media type indicates IKE and IPsec ESP as a VPN session.
 >> An IKE control channel is established using SIP and SDP offer/answer
 >> model.
 >>
 > I think it would be clearer if you say that this media type represents a
 > sequence of IKE packets. (Did I get this right?)
 > And the same comment applies to the other registration.
 >
 > But otherwise this looks fine to me.
 >
 >

And he also commented as follows:

>>>   Authors:
>>>
>>>        Makoto Saito ([email-masked])
>>>        Dan Wing ([email-masked])
>>>        Masashi Toyama ([email-masked])
>>>
>>>   Change controller:
>>
>> Should the last field be IESG?
>
> Actually your draft is an Independent Submission through RFC Editor, so maybe that is not quite right.
> But if you are happy for IESG to be the Change Controller, that wouldn't be a bad thing.
>
> Alternatively, one of you needs to be a Change Controller.

So we recognized these identifiers would be registered as
media subtypes, and in fact IESG didn't have objections to it.

Could you give us any instructions to solve our concern?

Best regards,

Makoto

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 18:43:06 +0200

>but they were registered as SDP attributes.

I do not think it is obvious from RFC 6193 that it includes a proposal
for a new internet media type (you don't have the proper template, you
don't reference BCP 13 / RFC 4288, no `application/ike-esp` string as
it would typically be rendered in MIME-like environments, I don't see
much of a definition how to construct `application/ike-esp` entities,
as in, what's the first byte, what's the second byte, and so on), and
RFC 4288 essentially requires that the registration template to be in
the standards document.

The easy way to resolve this is by re-publishing the document with the
necessary information included in the document. It may also be possible
to address this through errata, and it may also be possible that the
IESG is satisfied that the requirements for registration have been met
without changes to the document or errata, but that's not how things
are supposed to work as far as I am aware. If you do not want to
re-publish the document, I would recommend asking the IESG for guidance.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/