Subject: [Ietf108planning] Email to manycouches about virtual hum

From: Martin Duke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2020 15:19:23 -0700

I've drafted this email to announce our virtual humming tool once we have
an initial implementation and some way for people to test/play with it.
Feedback welcome.

===========

to: [email-masked]

Subject: Introducing the Meetecho Virtual Hum tool

The IESG and IETF LLC are working with the Meetecho team to add the
capability to conduct “virtual hums” in fully remote meetings. The initial
version is available for experimentation at [TEST_SITE].

Working Group chairs seeking “a sense of the room” are invited to use this
tool to help obtain it. As always, consensus ultimately requires
confirmation on the email list.

The current implementation is based on a specification the IESG developed
[I-D.duke]. Briefly, the workflow is as follows:

   -

   A chair begins the hum in meetecho
   -

   Participants have 20 seconds to hum loudly, softly, or not all
   -

   At the conclusion of the hum, Meetecho will report the approximate
   loudness of the hum, on the following increasing scale: niente,
   pianissimo, piano, forte, fortissimo.

As there is no IETF consensus that offline hums have specific flaws, the
current specification seeks to reproduce the offline version as faithfully
as possible. The SHMOO working group [SHMOO] might reach consensus on a
different set of requirements in the future, and update or replace this
document.

Feedback is welcome. In particular, practical operational issues (e.g. bug
reports, usability concerns, security weaknesses) and strong, unambiguous
consensus for feature changes might be actionable prior to IETF 108. More
contentious philosophical concerns are best left for long-term
consideration by SHMOO.

Regards,

Martin Duke

On behalf of the IESG

[I-D.duke] draft-duke-shmoo-virtual-hum-00. will submit, along with this
email, when Meetecho is ready.

[SHMOO] https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/shmoo/documents/

[TEST_SITE] TBD