Subject: [IETFMIBS] Query regarding scope of ifInUnknownProtos

From: Aditya JAIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:44:48 +0530

Hello, 

I have a confusion regarding the incrementing of ifInUnknownProtos mib
object on a transparent bridging device. 

Let's say I have a transparent bridging/switching device (layer 2 device)
confirming to ANSI/IEEE Std 802.1D, 1993 Edition, which can forward
802.3/DIX packets. The device itself supports a full TCP/IP stack, which
means I can query the device through SNMP. 

The device does not support replying to IPX packets. Now, since the device
itself does not support responding to IPX packets, does it also enforce that
it cannot forward IPX packets through the device, thus resulting in the
increase of ifInUnknownProtos mib object? 

Or, if it has the liberty to still forward IPX from one interface to the
other, then will the counter of ifInUnknownProtos for this device interface
always remain 0? 

Or does confirming to ANSI/IEEE Std 802.1D, 1993 Edition implies my
transparent bridging device has to take care of IPX packets in the first
place?

Regards,

Aditya 

_______________________________________________
IETFMIBS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietfmibs