Subject: [IETFMIBS] unsigned64 and float64 In draft-ietf-ipfix-psamp-mib-01

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:13:09 +0000

Dear all,

I would like to get advice on modeling 64 bit numbers with SMI.

The PSAMP MIB module in draft-ietf-ipfix-psamp-mib-01 has two objects that
need 64 bit datatypes.
  - psampFiltHashInitializerValue needs a 64 bit unsigned data type
  - psampSampUniProbProbability needs a 64 bit floating point data type
We can't just use 32 bit types, because these objects represent parameters
of hash functions that has been specified as 64 bit data types in the PSAMP
information model.

Since SMIv2 does not have 64 bit data types (at least to our knowledge), our
current solution is using octet strings of size 8. We don't think this is
the most elegant way to go. Probably we are not the first ones having this
problem. Is there a better solution?

Thanks,

    Juergen

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:02:31 +0200

> problem. Is there a better solution?

There is an Unsigned64TC in the APPLICATION-MIB.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>