Subject: [IETFMIBS] Formatted Text of Security Guidelines for IETF MIB Modules

From: Hiroshi Tsunoda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 15:43:06 +0900

Hi,

I think that https://trac.ietf.org/trac/ops/wiki/mib-security needs to be
updated so that it refers RFC8174 which updates RFC2119.
RFC8174 gives the new phrase to specifies common key words.

Concretely speaking, the beginning of  "Formatted Text" needs to be
updated as follows.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<OLD>
   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in
   this document are to be interpreted as described in BCP 14,
   RFC 2119 [RFC2119].

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL"
   in this document are to be interpreted as described in [KEYWORDS].

  [KEYWORDS] Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
              Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119,
              DOI 10.17487/RFC2119, March 1997,
              <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc2119>.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<NEW>
   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL
   NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",
   "NOT RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this document are
   to be interpreted as described in BCP 14 [RFC2119] [RFC8174] when,
   and only when, they appear in all capitals, as shown here.

   [RFC2119]  Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
              Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, DOI 10.17487/
              RFC2119, March 1997, <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/
              rfc2119>.

   [RFC8174]  Leiba, B., "Ambiguity of Uppercase vs Lowercase in RFC
              2119 Key Words", BCP 14, RFC 8174, DOI 10.17487/RFC8174,
              May 2017, <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8174>.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

-- tsuno

---

From: Glenn Mansfield Keeni <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 21:03:38 +0900

Hi,
Got this. I am copying this to the Mib-doctors list.
We are working on fixing some nits in
https://trac.ietf.org/trac/ops/wiki/mib-security
Good timing!
Thanks.

Glenn
On 2018/10/03 15:43, Hiroshi Tsunoda wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> IETFMIBS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietfmibs
>