Subject: Re: More SMON typos - draft-ietf-rmon-smon-04

From: "Dan Romascanu ELdevmt-TA" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 98 7:33:50 +0300

Andrew,
> 
> Sections 2.3.2 and 2.4.1 refers to a "portCopyCaps" group which does 
not
> exist in the MIB definition.
> 

Right. Something from an older version of the sections skipped our 
proof-reading. The mentions to 'portCopyCaps and the portCopyConfig MIB' 
should be replaced by 'dataSourceCopyCaps and portCopyConfig MIB group', 
or even better 'as defined by portCopyCompliance'.

> Also, should OwnerString be imported from RFC2233 IF-MIB, rather than
> RMON-MIB (HP OpenView complains about double definition of
> OwnerString)?

When we finalised the SMON MIB draft, around last June, RFC 2233 was not 
yet issued, and it seems more logical to import the TC from a MIB from 
the RMON family. What's the rule (if any?). Anybody knows why does RFC 
2233 redefine the OwnerString TC, if another definition already exists in 
the RMON MIB? Is there any diference between the two?

Dan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
Dan Romascanu,
Systems Architecture Group Manager,
LANNET Ltd.,
Voice: 972-3-645-8414, e-mail: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
------

---

From: "Dan Romascanu ELdevmt-TA" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 98 7:33:50 +0300

Andrew,
not

Dan

---

From: Keith McCloghrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 00:42:39 -0700 (PDT)

>                                             Anybody knows why does RFC 

1573/2233 re-defined OwnerString because a) 1271 defines it in terms of
another TC which is not allowed by the SNMPv2 SMI, and b) it seemed
better for interface testing entries created by an agent to be called
"agent..." rather than "monitor...".  Note that Andy argues that this
latter "change" is a change in semantics.  This wouldn't be a problem
except that some MIB compilers can't deal with two different TC's
defined in two independent MIBs having the same descriptor.  Note also
that the only use of OwnerString in 2233 is ifTestOwner which is
deprecated.

Keith.

---

From: Keith McCloghrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 00:42:39 -0700 (PDT)

Keith.