Subject: Non-member submission from [Kaj Tesink <[email-masked]>]

From: "Ted Brunner 503.627.1317" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 17:46:32 -0800

Ted Brunner		Video and Networking Technology
			Tektronix
			MS 50-490
[email-masked]	14150 SW Karl Braun
503.627.1317		Beaverton OR 97005	

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 21:10:26 +0000
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
From: Kaj Tesink <[email-masked]>
Subject: testMib question

- --=====================_912546626==_
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

hi,

i'm in the process of revising the test mib based on
previous quality review. this mib is necessary to
allow media and system-specific tests. the specification
that depends on this is the atm test mib.

the quality reviewer produced a comment that i want to run
by the list:

- - currently tests are started through setting testRowStatus
  to active
- - the review suggests that it may be preferable to keep the
  test manipulation separate from the row manipulation for
  implementation reasons
- - i have played around with several solution combinations
  and think that the suggestion is reasonable. there are two
  possible fixes:
  i) change the testResult object to include a start/stopTest
     capability 
  ii) introduce a new column say testHandle that can
      be idle(10, start(2), abort(3)

i'm inviting comments on all possibilities. interactions
between testRowStatus, testResult (and testHandle) will have to
be described carefully. note that these
changes all necessitate changing the atmTestMib as well.
in the absence of comments i'll put option ii) in the spec
and produce an update of the atmTestMib.

kaj

ps since the previous draft was expired i'll attach it below.

- --=====================_912546626==_
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Test.rfc"

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

                             Definitions of Managed Objects for
                                System and Interface Testing

                                         June, 1997

                             <draft-ietf-ifmib-testmib-03.txt>

                                        Maria Greene
                                        Ascom Nexion
                                      [email-masked]

                                      Keith McCloghrie
                                       Cisco Systems
                                       [email-masked]

                                         Kaj Tesink
                                Bell Communications Research
                                    [email-masked]

          Status of this Memo

             This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
             documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its Areas,
             and its Working Groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
             working documents as Internet-Drafts.

             Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
             and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
             time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
             material or to cite them other than as a "work in progress".

             To learn the current status of any Internet-Draft, please check the
             "1id-abstracts.txt" listing contained in the Internet-Drafts Shadow
             Directories on ds.internic.net (US East Coast), nic.nordu.net
             (Europe), ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast), or munnari.oz.au (Pacific
             Rim).



          Expires December 1997                                           [Page 1]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

          Abstract

             This memo defines an experimental portion of the Management
             Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in
             the Internet community.  In particular, it describes objects used for
             testing systems and interfaces. This memo replaces the objects
             originally defined in the ifTestGroup of RFC1573, the IF-MIB [6],
             which have been deprecated.

             This memo specifies a MIB module in a manner that is both compliant
             to the SNMPv2 SMI, and semantically identical to the peer SNMPv1
             definitions.

             This memo does not specify a standard for the Internet community.

          1.  The SNMP Network Management Framework

             The SNMP Network Management Framework presently consists of three
             major components.  They are:

             o    the SMI, described in RFC 1902 [1] - the mechanisms used for
                  describing and naming objects for the purpose of management.

             o    the MIB-II, STD 17, RFC 1213 [2] - the core set of managed
                  objects for the Internet suite of protocols.

             o    the protocol, RFC 1157 [3] and/or RFC 1905 [4], - the protocol
                  for accessing managed objects.

             The Framework permits new objects to be defined for the purpose of
             experimentation and evaluation.

          1.1.  Object Definitions

             Managed objects are accessed via a virtual information store, termed
             the Management Information Base or MIB.  Objects in the MIB are
             defined using the subset of Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1)
             defined in the SMI.  In particular, each object type is named by an
             OBJECT IDENTIFIER, an administratively assigned name.  The object
             type together with an object instance serves to uniquely identify a
             specific instantiation of the object.  For human convenience, we
             often use a textual string, termed the descriptor, to also refer to
             the object type.



          Expires December 1997                                           [Page 2]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

          2.  Experience with the Interfaces Test Group

             The ifTestGroup of objects defined in RFC1573 has not been used
             widely. Some cited problems were:

             o    Few standard tests had been defined to date.

             o    Some well known tests had already been written on a media-
                  specific basis, e.g., DS1 loopback.

             o    The ifTestGroup allowed for interface testing only.

             o    A logging capability was missing.

             As a result, the ifTestGroup and associated ifTestTable have been
             deprecated. However, since renewed interest was expressed in a
             generic testing capability, specifically in the development of MIBs
             for managing Asynchronous Transfer Mode interfaces, a set of
             requirements have been defined that form the basis for the design of
             the generic Test MIB defined in this memo.

          3.  Requirements for a Generic Test MIB

             This section describes the requirements that have been identified for
             a generic test MIB.

          3.1.  Test Identification

             The system defined in RFC1573 to identify tests relies on OBJECT
             IDENTIFIERs. This system is flexible in that it allows additional
             tests to be defined over time and autonomously by vendors, removing
             the need to register test types in a single place. This mechanism for
             test identification has been retained.



          Expires December 1997                                           [Page 3]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

          3.2.  Test Targets

             With the advent of an increasing number of non-interface related MIB
             modules it is desirable to define a test capability that allows
             testing of interfaces and non-interface physical entities. The
             following possibilities were considered:

             a)   Separate test capabilities for interface tests and other tests.

             b)   The use of a single test capability where the test target would
                  be defined within the test table.

             This memo uses the latter approach and uses an object with the syntax
             RowPointer to identify test targets. (Initially, the use of the
             Entity MIB was considered for identification of test targets, but
             this was abandoned because this would require support of the Entity
             MIB for testing purposes.)

             Tests are listed in the testTable. The entries in the testTable are
             distinguished through the value of a simple integer called testIndex.



          Expires December 1997                                           [Page 4]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

          3.3.  Logging Results

             A logging capability of test results serves to store the test results
             for some period of time. Two mechanisms were considered:

             1)   Separate the test capability and the log.

             2)   Combine the test capability and the log in a single table.

             Note that searching criteria on the log relate to this choice as
             well.

             The log length is necessarily limited. The following choices were
             considered:

             1)   Age the entries.

             2)   Limit by the number of entries.

             3)   A system that allows either 1) or 2).

             This MIB module chooses a system where the test and logging
             capability have been combined in a single table (testTable). The log
             length is limited by a read-write object (testTableMaxSize).

             This MIB module also defines a notification, testComplete, which
             contains the same information as the log entry. Therefore, an agent
             with limited resources can limit the maximum size of the log to a
             very few number of entries and rely on a management application to
             receive and log the testComplete notifications.

          3.4.  Log Searching

             Efficient searching in a log is a key to its effectiveness.  The
             following possibilities were considered:

             a)   Sort on age of the entries.

             b)   Sort on test type.

             c)   Sort on combinations of the above.



          Expires December 1997                                           [Page 5]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

             This MIB module chooses for the index testIndex, which is an integer
             identifier for an invocation of a test. To obtain a new testIndex a
             manager retrieves the value of testIndexNext. Each time this object
             is read the next lower available value is provided. This addresses
             the requests that are expected to be most common:

             o    What is the result of test (testIndex)?

             o    What are the results of the last n tests?

             Since the testIndex has been defined as decreasing, this approach
             will order log entries by time, newest to oldest. The possibility of
             testId wrapping is minimized by having it restart at its maximum
             value and when the agent restarts. When a manager is interested in a
             specific test, a specific get-request may be issued. When a manager
             is interested in the latest n tests for the system, getnext/bulk
             starting from (testIndex) provides the approximate answer.

          3.5.  Determining Agent Test Capabilities

             A testCapabilitiesTable has been defined to list the tests that can
             be performed through this agent.



          Expires December 1997                                           [Page 6]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

          4.  Definitions

                    TEST-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

                    IMPORTS
                      MODULE-IDENTITY, OBJECT-TYPE, Unsigned32,
                      experimental, NOTIFICATION-TYPE, mib-2
                           FROM SNMPv2-SMI
                      AutonomousType, RowPointer, TimeStamp, RowStatus
                           FROM SNMPv2-TC
                      MODULE-COMPLIANCE, OBJECT-GROUP, NOTIFICATION-GROUP
                           FROM SNMPv2-CONF
                      OwnerString
                           FROM IF-MIB
                      ;

                    testMIB MODULE-IDENTITY
                         LAST-UPDATED "9706031200Z"
                         ORGANIZATION "IETF IFMIB Working Group"
                         CONTACT-INFO
                            "Keith McCloghrie
                             Postal:  Cisco Systems
                                      170 West Tasman Drive
                                      San Jose, CA 95134
                                      US
                             Tel:     +1 408 526 5260
                             E-mail:  [email-masked]

                             Kaj Tesink
                             Postal:  Bell Communications Research
                                      331 Newman Springs Road
                                      Red Bank, NJ 07701
                                      US
                             Tel:     +1 908 758 5254
                             E-mail:  [email-masked]

                             Maria Greene
                             Postal:  Ascom Nexion
                                      289 Great Road

                                      Acton, MA 01720
                                      US
                             Tel:     +1 508 266 4570
                             E-mail:  [email-masked]"
                         DESCRIPTION
                            "This MIB module provides a generic test
                             capability."
                    -- ********  NOTE TO THE RFC EDITOR  **************

          Expires December 1997                                           [Page 7]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

                    -- In case this module is put on the standards track
                    --  replace the following:
                    -- "::= {experimental XX}" with
                    -- "::= { mib-2 YY }"
                         ::= { experimental XX }

                    testMIBObjects  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { testMIB 1 }

                    testIndexNext  OBJECT-TYPE
                                   SYNTAX         INTEGER (0..2147483647)
                                   MAX-ACCESS     read-only
                                   STATUS         current
                                   DESCRIPTION
                                    "This object contains an appropriate value to
                                     be used for testIndex when creating
                                     entries in the testTable.  The value
                                     0 indicates that no unassigned entries are
                                     available. To obtain the testIndex
                                     value for a new entry, the manager issues a
                                     management protocol retrieval operation to obtain
                                     the current value of this object.  After each
                                     retrieval, the agent should modify the value to
                                     the next lower unassigned index. If the agent is
                                     restarted this object shall be set to its highest value."
                                   ::= { testMIBObjects 1 }

                    --    The Test Table

                    testTable   OBJECT-TYPE
                        SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF TestEntry
                        MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
                        STATUS      current
                        DESCRIPTION
                                "This table is used to initiate tests. An entry

                                in this table corresponds to an instance of a test.
                                A test is invoked by creating a row with the
                                appropriate test attributes and using testRowStatus
                                to start a test.
                                After invoking a test,
                                the object testResult can be read to determine the
                                outcome.  If an agent can not perform the test,
                                testResult is set accordingly.  The testCode can
                                be used to provide further test-specific or entity-
                                specific (or even enterprise-specific) information

          Expires December 1997                                           [Page 8]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

                                concerning the outcome of the test.  Only one test can
                                be in progress on each entity at any one time.  If one
                                test is in progress when another test is invoked, the
                                second test is rejected.  Some agents may reject a test
                                when a prior test is active on another entity.

                                Before starting a test, a manager-station must first
                                obtain 'ownership' of the entry in the testTable for
                                the entity to be tested.  This is accomplished by
                                retrieving the value of testIndexNext. This value
                                entitles the manager to create a row in the testTable
                                with the value of testIndex being equal to the
                                retrieved value of testIndexNext.

                               Once ownership is obtained, the test parameters can be
                               setup, and then the test is initiated by activating the
                               row through testRowStatus. The agent sets the value
                               of testResult to 'inProgress'.
                               On completion of the test, the agent sets testResult
                               and testCode in accordance with the test results and
                               sets the testCompletionTime.

                               If testRowStatus is not set to active within an
                               abnormally long period
                               of time after ownership is obtained, the agent should
                               time-out the manager, and reset the value of the
                               testRowStatus object back to 'destroy'.  It is suggested
                               that this time-out period be 5 minutes.

                               In general, a management station must not retransmit a
                               request to invoke a test for which it does not receive a
                               response; instead, it properly inspects an agent's MIB
                               to determine if the invocation was successful.  Only if
                               the invocation was unsuccessful, is the invocation
                               request retransmitted.


                               Some tests may require the entity to be taken off- line
                               in order to execute them, or may even require the agent
                               to reboot after completion of the test.  In these
                               circumstances, communication with the management station
                               invoking the test may be lost until after completion of
                               the test.  An agent is not required to support such
                               tests.  However, if such tests are supported, then the
                               agent should make every effort to transmit a response to
                               the request which invoked the test prior to losing
                               communication.  When the agent is restored to normal
                               service, the results of the test are properly made

          Expires December 1997                                           [Page 9]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

                               available in the appropriate objects.  Note that this
                               requires that the testIndex value assigned to an entity
                               must be unchanged even if the test causes a reboot.  An
                               agent must reject any test for which it cannot, perhaps
                               due to resource constraints, make available at least the
                               minimum amount of information after that test
                               completes."
                      ::= { testMIBObjects 2 }

                  testEntry OBJECT-TYPE
                      SYNTAX       TestEntry
                      MAX-ACCESS   not-accessible
                      STATUS       current
                      DESCRIPTION
                              "An entry containing objects for invoking a test."
                      INDEX  { testIndex }
                      ::= { testTable 1 }

                  TestEntry ::=
                      SEQUENCE {
                          testIndex          Unsigned32,
                          testTarget         RowPointer,
                          testMoreInfo       OCTET STRING,
                          testType           AutonomousType,
                          testCompletionTime TimeStamp,
                          testResult         INTEGER,
                          testCode           OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
                          testOwner          OwnerString,
                          testRowStatus      RowStatus }

                  testIndex      OBJECT-TYPE
                      SYNTAX       Unsigned32
                      MAX-ACCESS   not-accessible

                      STATUS       current
                      DESCRIPTION
                              "The index of this table."
                     ::= { testEntry 1 }

               testTarget     OBJECT-TYPE
                   SYNTAX       RowPointer
                   MAX-ACCESS   read-create
                   STATUS       current
                   DESCRIPTION
                           "The target of the test. An example of a test target is
                           an instance of an interface, identified by the OID
                           'ifIndex.17'."

          Expires December 1997                                          [Page 10]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

                   DEFVAL  { { 0 0 } }
                  ::= { testEntry 2 }

               testMoreInfo   OBJECT-TYPE
                   SYNTAX       OCTET STRING
                   MAX-ACCESS   read-create
                   STATUS       current
                   DESCRIPTION
                           "Additional information for the test."
                   DEFVAL  { "" }
                  ::= { testEntry 3 }

               testType       OBJECT-TYPE
                   SYNTAX       AutonomousType
                   MAX-ACCESS   read-create
                   STATUS       current
                   DESCRIPTION
                           "The identifier that specifies the test.
                           OBJECT IDENTIFIER values assigned to tests
                           are defined elsewhere, in association with
                           specific types of entity.
                           However, this document assigns a value for a full-
                           duplex loopback test, and defines the special meanings
                           of the subject identifier:

                             noTest  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { 0 0 }

                           When the value noTest is written to this object, no
                           action is taken. "
                   DEFVAL  { { 0 0 } }
                   ::= { testEntry 4 }


               testCompletionTime OBJECT-TYPE
                   SYNTAX        TimeStamp
                   MAX-ACCESS    read-only
                   STATUS        current
                   DESCRIPTION
                           "The value of sysUpTime when the test completed."
                   ::= { testEntry 5 }

               testResult  OBJECT-TYPE
                   SYNTAX       INTEGER {
                                    none(1),          -- no test yet requested
                                    success(2),
                                    inProgress(3),
                                    notSupported(4),
                                    unAbleToRun(5),   -- due to state of system

          Expires December 1997                                          [Page 11]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

                                    aborted(6),
                                    failed(7)
                                }
                   MAX-ACCESS   read-only
                   STATUS       current
                   DESCRIPTION
                           "This object contains the result of the most recently
                           requested test, or the value 'none(1)' if no test
                           has been started yet."
                   DEFVAL  { none }
                   ::= { testEntry 6 }

               testCode OBJECT-TYPE
                   SYNTAX         OBJECT IDENTIFIER
                   MAX-ACCESS     read-only
                   STATUS         current
                   DESCRIPTION
                           "This object contains a code which contains more specific
                           information on the test result, for example an error-code
                           after a failed test or a result value such as round trip
                           time for a 'ping' test.  Error codes and other values this
                           object may take are specific to the type of entity and/or
                           test.  The value may have the semantics of AutonomousType,
                           InstancePointer, RowPointer or VariablePointer textual
                           conventions as defined in RFC 1903.  The identifier:

                              testCodeNone  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { 0 0 }

                           is defined for use if no additional result code is

                           available."
                   DEFVAL  { { 0 0 } }
                   ::= { testEntry 7 }

               testOwner      OBJECT-TYPE
                   SYNTAX       OwnerString
                   MAX-ACCESS   read-create
                   STATUS       current
                   DESCRIPTION
                           "The manager which currently has the 'ownership'
                           required to invoke a test on this entity."
                   ::= { testEntry 8 }

               testRowStatus      OBJECT-TYPE
                   SYNTAX       RowStatus
                   MAX-ACCESS   read-create
                   STATUS       current
                   DESCRIPTION

          Expires December 1997                                          [Page 12]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

                           "The status of the test:
                            - When the manager activates the row the test
                              is started.
                            - When the test is completed the row will remain
                              active or may be destroyed by the manager.
                            - Details of ongoing or just completed tests are
                              reported in testResult and testCode.
                            - A manager may abort ongoing tests or remove
                              completed test information by setting the
                              row status to notInService or destroy."
                   DEFVAL  { active }
                   ::= { testEntry 9 }

               -- Table size

               testTableMaxSize OBJECT-TYPE
                   SYNTAX        Unsigned32 (10..4294967295)
                   MAX-ACCESS    read-write
                   STATUS        current
                   DESCRIPTION
                           "The maximum number entries in the testTable.  When the
                           table reaches this size the oldest entries will be discarded
                           when new entries are added. The table is flushed when the
                           agent is reset."
                       ::= { testMIBObjects 3 }



               -- Test Capabilities Table

               testCapabilitiesTable   OBJECT-TYPE
                   SYNTAX        SEQUENCE OF TestCapabilitiesEntry
                   MAX-ACCESS    not-accessible
                   STATUS        current
                   DESCRIPTION
                           "This table contains the test that this entity
                            is able to invoke."
                       ::= { testMIBObjects 4 }

               testCapabilitiesEntry    OBJECT-TYPE
                   SYNTAX         TestCapabilitiesEntry
                   MAX-ACCESS     not-accessible
                   STATUS         current
                   DESCRIPTION
                           "Each entry in this table represents a test."
                   INDEX { testCapabilitiesIndex }
                   ::= { testCapabilitiesTable 1 }

          Expires December 1997                                          [Page 13]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

               TestCapabilitiesEntry ::=
                   SEQUENCE {
                       testCapabilitiesIndex            Unsigned32,
                       testCapabilitiesType             AutonomousType
                       }

               testCapabilitiesIndex OBJECT-TYPE
                   SYNTAX        Unsigned32
                   MAX-ACCESS    not-accessible
                   STATUS        current
                   DESCRIPTION
                           "An integer index that uniquely identifies the entry."
                   ::= { testCapabilitiesEntry 1 }

               testCapabilitiesType OBJECT-TYPE
                   SYNTAX        AutonomousType
                   MAX-ACCESS    read-only
                   STATUS        current
                   DESCRIPTION
                           "The type of test that can be invoked."
                   ::= { testCapabilitiesEntry 2 }

               -- Notifications


               testMIBNotifications OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { testMIB 0 }

               testComplete NOTIFICATION-TYPE
                   OBJECTS {
                          testIndex,
                          testTarget,
                          testMoreInfo,
                          testType,
                          testResult,
                          testCode,
                          testOwner   }
                   STATUS current
                   DESCRIPTION
                           "A testComplete trap signifies that a test has completed for
                           a particular entity. If the testCode has the semantics of
                           a VariablePointer, the variable it points at will also be
                           included in the objects list."
                   ::= { testMIBNotifications 1 }

               -- Conformance Information

          Expires December 1997                                          [Page 14]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

               testMIBConformance   OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { testMIB 3 }

               testMIBGroups        OBJECT IDENTIFIER
                                ::= { testMIBConformance 1 }

               testMIBCompliances   OBJECT IDENTIFIER
                                ::= { testMIBConformance 2 }

               -- Compliance Statements

               testMIBCompliance   MODULE-COMPLIANCE
                    STATUS         current
                    DESCRIPTION
                      "The compliance statement for SNMP agents which support generic
                      testing capabilities."

                    MODULE  -- this module

                    MANDATORY-GROUPS  { testMIBGroup, testNotificationGroup }

                    OBJECT      testMaxSize
                    MIN-ACCESS  read-only

                    DESCRIPTION
                      "Write access is not required."

                       ::= { testMIBCompliances 1 }

               -- Units of Conformance

               testMIBGroup     OBJECT-GROUP
                    OBJECTS {
                       testIndexNext,
                       testTarget,
                       testMoreInfo,
                       testType,
                       testCompletionTime,
                       testResult,
                       testCode,
                       testOwner,
                       testRowStatus,
                       testTableMaxSize,
                       testCapabilitiesType
                    }
                    STATUS    current
                    DESCRIPTION

          Expires December 1997                                          [Page 15]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

                      "A collection of objects providing a generic
                       test capability."
                  ::= { testMIBGroups 1 }

               testNotificationGroup NOTIFICATION-GROUP
                   NOTIFICATIONS {
                       testComplete
                   }
                   STATUS      current
                   DESCRIPTION
                      "The notifications used to indicate test completion."
                  ::= { testMIBGroups 2 }

               END

          5.  Acknowledgments

             This document is a product of the IETF's Interfaces MIB Working

             Group.

             The original ifTestTable was the work of Keith McCloghrie (Cisco) and
             Frank Kastenholz (FTP Software) and has been used in this further
             evolution.

             The authors would like to acknowledge the following individuals for
             their input on requirements:

                 James Watt (Newbridge)
                 Dave Fowler (Newbridge)
                 Steven Buchko (Newbridge)
                 Milt Rosslinsky (ACC)
                 Dawn Xie (Lucent)
                 Chris Martin (Netedge)

          Expires December 1997                                          [Page 16]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

          6.  References

          [1]  SNMPv2 Working Group, Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and
               S. Waldbusser, "Structure of Management Information for Version 2
               of the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC1902, SNMP
               Research,Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting, Inc.,
               International Network Services, January 1996.

          [2]  McCloghrie, K., and M. Rose, Editors, "Management Information Base
               for Network Management of TCP/IP-based internets: MIB-II", STD 17,
               RFC 1213, Hughes LAN Systems, Performance Systems International,
               March 1991.

          [3]  Case, J., Fedor, M., Schoffstall, M., and J. Davin, "Simple Network
               Management Protocol", RFC 1157, SNMP Research, Performance Systems
               International, Performance Systems International, MIT Laboratory
               for Computer Science, May 1990.

          [4]  SNMPv2 Working Group, Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and

               S. Waldbusser, "Protocol Operations for Version 2 of the Simple
               Network Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC1905, SNMP Research,Inc.,
               Cisco Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., International
               Network Services, January 1996.

          [5]  McCloghrie, K., and A. Bierman, Editors, "Entity MIB", RFC2037,
               Cisco Systems, January 1996.

          [6]  Kastenholz, F., "Definitions of Managed Objects for the Ethernet-
               like Interface Types using SMIv2", RFC1650, FTP Software, Inc,
               August 1994.

          [6]  McCloghrie, K., Kastenholz, F., "Evolution of the Interfaces Group
               of MIB-II", RFC1573, (should be updated to new IF-MIB RFC#) Cisco
               Systems, Inc., FTP Software, January 1994.

          [7]  SNMPv2 Working Group, Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and
               S. Waldbusser, "Textual Conventions for Version 2 of the Simple
               Network Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC1903, SNMP Research,Inc.,
               Cisco Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., International
               Network Services, January 1996.

          Expires December 1997                                          [Page 17]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

          7.  Security Considerations

             Security issues are not discussed in this memo.

          8.  Authors' Addresses

                            Maria Greene
                            Ascom Nexion
                            289 Great Road
                            Acton, MA 01720-4739
                            Phone: (508) 266-4570
                            EMail: [email-masked]

                            Keith McCloghrie
                            Cisco Systems
                            170 West Tasman Drive
                            San Jose, CA 95134

                            Phone: (408) 526-5260
                            E-mail:  [email-masked]

                            Kaj Tesink
                            Bell Communications Research
                            Room 1A-427
                            331 Newman Springs Road
                            P.O. Box 7020
                            Red Bank, NJ  07701-7020
                            Phone: (908) 758-5254
                            EMail: [email-masked]

          Expires December 1997                                          [Page 18]

          INTERNET-DRAFT         System/Interface Test MIB               June 1997

             Table of Contents

             1 The SNMP Network Management Framework ........................    2
             1.1 Object Definitions .........................................    2
             2 Experience with the Interfaces Test Group ....................    3
             3 Requirements for a Generic Test MIB ..........................    3
             3.1 Test Identification ........................................    3
             3.2 Test Targets ...............................................    4
             3.3 Logging Results ............................................    5
             3.4 Log Searching ..............................................    5
             3.5 Determining Agent Test Capabilities ........................    6
             4 Definitions ..................................................    7
             5 Acknowledgments ..............................................   16
             6 References ...................................................   17

             7 Security Considerations ......................................   18
             8 Authors' Addresses ...........................................   18

          Expires December 1997                                          [Page 19]


- --=====================_912546626==_
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kaj Tesink
Bellcore
Email  [email-masked]
Tel    732.758.5254
Fax    732.758.2269
Postal 331 Newman Springs Rd
       Red Bank, NJ 07701
       USA

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

- --=====================_912546626==_--

------- End of Forwarded Message

---

From: Bob Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 09:03:14 -0500

>and produce an update of the atmTestMib.

I've done it all three ways, mixed with row status, mixed with operation
status, and separate control object.  They all work.  Separate control
object (your option ii) is probably the cleanest and easiest to implement
and understand.

	Bob