Subject: WG last call for feb 12

From: Ted Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:47:45 -0800

Hello everyone-

The draft of the ifmib in the Internet-Drafts directory now
(draft-ietf-ifmib-ifmib2-00.txt)
has been their a while without change.
The remaining issue about inverse stack table was decided
in favor of a separate document.
A new version (draft-ietf-ifmib-invstackmib-01.txt) differs
from the -00.txt version now in the I-D directory
in small editorial ways, should be sent to you shortly.

I believe that we have talked ourselves into being
happiest with these drafts (least unhappy?).
The next stop for (draft-ietf-ifmib-ifmib2-00.txt)
is DRAFT-STANDARD, while the next stop for 
(draft-ietf-ifmib-invstackmib-01.txt) is PROPOSED-STANDARD.

So it is my intention to issue a last call within this working group
now, with a ending date of 2 weeks from now - feb 12 1999.

Take a look and think about it, and see if you can be happy
with these versions.

In a note to me, Keith mentioned two issues left on the ifmib2
draft.  I will paraphrase his summary of the situation,
and offer resolutions to those two issues:

a) the IANAifTypeMIB from RFC 1573 was omitted from RFC 2233.
There is no obvious reason to reverse that, and include it now.
Note this does leave a problem with managing edits to that MIB,
given changes to IANA's process.  But it is not an obvious
reason to delay this mib.

b) ifDuplex.  There was no solid agreement that its inclusion
will not delay ifmib2's progress to draft.  The hub mib
draft-ietf-hubmib-etherif-mib-v2-01.txt has an equivalent object,
and no request has been made to this WG to add a general one.
The obvious suggestion is not to include it.

Thanks.

Ted Brunner		VideoTele.com
			Tektronix
			MS 50-475
[email-masked]	14150 SW Karl Braun
503.627.1317		Beaverton OR 97005