Subject: Non-member submission from ["Carl W. Kalbfleisch" <[email-masked]>]

From: "Ted Brunner 503.627.1317" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:43:55 -0800

Ted Brunner		VideoTele.com
			Tektronix
			MS 50-490
[email-masked]	14150 SW Karl Braun
503.627.1317		Beaverton OR 97005	

------- Forwarded Message

Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 06:18:46 -0600
From: "Carl W. Kalbfleisch" <[email-masked]>
Organization: Verio
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en] (Win95; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: RFC-2233 and ds3 MIB use in conjunction with each other
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi,

I have a question about the usage of the interfaces MIB (rfc-2233) used
in conjunction with the ds1/ds3 MIB. According to RFC-2233 attributes in
ifGeneralInformationGroup are mandatory. Then the attributes of at most
one of the following groups may be supported: ifFixedLengthGroup,
ifHCFixedLengthGroup, ifPacketGroup, ifHCPacketGroup and
ifVHCPacketGroup. In the latest draft,
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ifmib-ifmib2-00.txt, the
wording of which groups should be implemented is different.

In the trunk MIB,
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-trunkmib-ds3-mib-09.txt,
idicates "Only the ifGeneralGroup needs to be supported."

We have devices in our network which connects customer circuits which
has no values implemented for ifInOctets or ifOutOctets because none of
the optional groups in the if MIB are supported by the device. We
therefore are unable to do any metrics for these customers link
utilization.

Could someone please shed some light on:

What is the latest recommendations of which ifGroups should be supported
by ds3?

Is there any chance that these working groups will change their
recommendations on which groups should be supported? 

Is there some other place I should be looking for interface statistics
for ifType ds1 and ds3?

Thanks,
Carl

- --
Carl W. Kalbfleisch
Manager NMS Development
Verio Inc., http://www.verio.net

------- End of Forwarded Message