Subject: Kaj Tesink: testmib progress

From: "Ted Brunner 503.627.1317" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:18:08 -0800

Interfaces MIB WG, AToMMIB WG,

No further comments have been made on the Test MIB and the related
ATM Test MIB and the specs have been posted for a while:

   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ifmib-testmib-04.txt
   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-atommib-test-04.txt

So it is time for a WG Last Call for comments before submitting them to the
Area Director for propossing as Proposed Standards. Please have a last careful
look to make sure they OK.

Thanks,
Ted
Kaj

Ted Brunner		VideoTele.com
			Tektronix
			MS 50-475
[email-masked]	14150 SW Karl Braun
503.627.1317		Beaverton OR 97005	

------- Forwarded Message

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kaj Tesink
Bellcore
Email  [email-masked]
Tel    732.758.5254
Fax    732.758.2269
Postal 331 Newman Springs Rd
       Red Bank, NJ 07701
       USA

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

------- End of Forwarded Message

---

From: "Brian Hassink" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:14:32 -0500

Hello,

These MIBs are nice to see. In a recent project, we had several concerns with the
test objects defined by the IF MIB (i.e. notification of a completed test to
avoid polling, logging of test results to avoid loss due to a subsequent test,
and test parameters) and opted to write our own test objects and procedures in an
enterprise MIB. These concerns appear to have been addressed by the proposed test
MIB. One small comment is that "testParameters" may be a slightly more accurate
name for the "testMoreInfo" object.

Another comment, or perhaps more of a question, has to do with ATM Continuity
Check. Some people think of continuity check as a test while others think of it
as a state. Depending on interpretation, it may or may not be appropriate to
include it as another test type in the AToM Test MIB. If not, it should probably
be added to one of the other AToM MIBs.

Cheers,
Brian
---
Brian Hassink
(919) 991-7541, (ESN) 351-7541
Software Engineer, ATM Development, Succession Networks, Carrier Solutions
Nortel Networks, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina