Subject: [ifmib] Appropriate MTU value on lo, ipip or other tunnel intefaces.

From: Daniel Chuang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:28:16 -0800

Hello, ifmib guru,

      Forgive me if this has been asked before.  Would anyone show me
the place
on archive since the address in ietf ifmib task group is invalid ?

   1. on the rfc2863,

"       ifMtu
       DESCRIPTION
            "The size of the largest packet which can be sent/received
            on the interface, specified in octets.  For interfaces that
            are used for transmitting network datagrams, this is the
            size of the largest network datagram that can be sent on the

            interface."
"
     On the some logical tunnel interface such as lo, ipip or gre, we
can assume the mtu
is unlimited. True ? But the type of ifMTU is Integer32, if you set it
as maximun value
4,294,967.265 ( 2**32 -1). It turned out to be -1 for Integer32. I start
thinking
whether this makes sense since nobody will send this PDU this big in the
interface.
will you ?

Cheers,
Daniel

_______________________________________________
ifmib mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ifmib