Subject: [EAI] Chapter 7.2. MIME headers (Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-eai-utf8headers-02.txt)

From: Kari Hurtta <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Feb 2007 14:41:43 +0200

---------------------------------------------------------------
7.2.  MIME headers

   The syntax of <value&gt, as defined in RFC 2045, is

   value   =       token / quoted-string

   In all those headers, such as Content-Type and Content-Dispoaition
   [and maybe our own Header-Type, plus lots of others being defined in
   various other documents], which make use of <value&gts within
   <parameter&gts as defined in [RFC2045] as modified by [RFC2231], it
   will now be allowed to use <quoted-string>s containing UTF-8
   characters (see the revised syntax of <qtext> in Section 6.2 of this
   document).

----------------------------------------------------------------

This needs one addition:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
   The syntax of <description>, as defined in RFC 2045, is

   description = "Content-Description" ":" *text

   It will now  be allowed to use <text>s containing UTF-8
   characters (see the revised syntax of <text> in Section 6.2 of 
   this document).
-----------------------------------------------------------------

( If work group consensus is that MIME headers fields must not use UTF-8,
  then there need to be chapter which says that UTF-8 is not allowed
  headers defined on RFC 2048, even when revised syntax in
  Section 6.2 of this document allows it. )

/ Kari Hurtta

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: Kari Hurtta <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Feb 2007 15:09:21 +0200

Addition:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
7.1.1 List-ID

    The syntax of <list-id-header>, as defined in RFC 2919, is

    list-id-header = "List-ID:" [phrase] "<" list-id ">" CRLF

    and <phrase>s as defined in RFC 2822 can include <qtext>s.

    It will now be allowed to use <qtext>s  containing UTF-8
    characters (see the revised syntax of <phrase> in Section 6.2 of this
    document).

    Note that <list-id> uses <dot-atom-text>, and <dot-atom-text>
    is not extended to containing UTF-8 characters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

/ Kari Hurtta

---

From: Kari Hurtta <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Feb 2007 15:27:54 +0200

However I'm not able to determine actual grammar for
header fields  defined on RFC 2369, so I can not determine is 
draft-ietf-eai-utf8headers-02 extending these.

Seems that syntax is actually defined without giving
formal grammar.

Or is I missing something?

Header fields are:
         List-Help, 
         List-Subscribe, 
         List-Unsubscribe,
         List-Post, 
         List-Owner, 
         List-Archive

On some header fields there are comments inside of ( ).
It may be that these use <ctext>

To me it seems that MUAs will process comments inside of
List-* header fields same way than comment on structured RFC 2822
header fields.

RFC 2369 quote: -------------------------------------------

2. The Command Syntax

   The list header fields are subject to the encoding and character
   restrictions for mail headers as described in [RFC822]. Additionally,
   the URL content is further restricted to the set of URL safe
   characters [RFC1738].

-----------------------------------------------------------

/ Kari Hurtta

RFC 2369: The Use of URLs as Meta-Syntax for Core Mail List Commands
          and their Transport through Message Header Fields

---

From: "YAO Jiankang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:41:56 +0800

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Kari Hurtta" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 9:27 PM
Subject: RFC 2369 (Re: [EAI] RFC 2919 addition (Re: I-DACTION:draft-ietf-eai-utf8headers-02.txt))

> Or is I missing something?

IMO, the header fields above in the mailing list should go to draft-ietf-eai-mailinglist.

When Randall Gellens  updates the mailinglist draft, he may consider it.

YAO Jiankang
CNNIC