Subject: [EAI] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 15:50:03 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Email Address Internationalization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: SMTP extension for internationalized email address
	Author(s)	: J. Yao, W. Mao
	Filename	: draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-04.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 2007-3-6
	
Internationalized email address includes two parts, the local part
   and the domain part.  The ways email addresses are used by protocols
   are different from the ways domain names are used.  The most critical
   difference is that emails are delivered through a chain of peering
   clients and servers while domain names are resolved by name servers
   by looking up their own tables.  In addition to this, email transport
   protocols SMTP and ESMTP provide a negotiation mechanism through
   which clients can make decisions for further processing.  This
   document specifies the use of SMTP extension for internationalized
   email address delivery.  It also mentions the backward compatible
   mechanism for downgrade procedure, as specified in an associated
   specification.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: Kari Hurtta <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Mar 2007 06:59:03 +0200

>    mechanism for downgrade procedure, as specified in an associated

Hmm. "reject", "bounce" or "downgrade" is mentioned only on following places:

Introduction:
|   which clients can make decisions for further processing.  This
|   document specifies the use of SMTP extension for internationalized
|   email address delivery.  It also mentions the backward compatible
|   mechanism for downgrade procedure, as specified in an associated
|   specification.

|   subsequent operations.  If the ALT-ADDRESS value is not set by the
|   sender, the email must be rejected to the original sender.  If the
|   email is rejected due to the incapability of supporting UTF8SMTP, the
|   relative server should issue the response error code "5.3.3" defined

|  situation, and the message is sent successfully after retrying, then
|   it was a good thing to do.  Of course, if there is always an ASCII-
|   only SMTP server in the path, then retrying only adds delay to the
|   failure (reject or downgrade).

| 8.5.  draft-ietf-eai-smtpext: Version 04
|
|   o  Refine some syntax.
|   o  Delete "Message Header Label" section.
|   o  Change "bounce" to "reject".

Effectively Introduction -chapter promises that document mentions
downgrade procedure, but that Introduction is only place where it is
mentioned.

What I have missing?

Rejection is only mentioned on ALT-ADDRESS chapter. There is
no chapter, which says that UTF8SMTP messages must not
sent to SMTP servers which do not support UTF8SMTP.  This
is important requirement.

This requirement must exists even when there is longer 
"Message Header Label", which tell that message is UTF8SMTP.
It is just harder to SMTP server to determine when message
is UTF8SMTP. It still need determine it. :-)

/ Kari Hurtta

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:39:37 +0100

> downgrade procedure, but that Introduction is only place where it is
I think our attempts to elide all mention of downgrade from this 
document have been successful, but we missed the mention in the intro.
> is important requirement.
Yes. If it's not obvious, it needs to be.
> is UTF8SMTP. It still need determine it. :-)
yes.