Subject: [EAI] Document Action: 'Overview and Framework for Internationalized Email' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:10:59 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Overview and Framework for Internationalized Email '
   <draft-ietf-eai-framework-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Email Address Internationalization 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ted Hardie and Lisa Dusseault.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-framework-05.txt

Technical Summary

  Full use of electronic mail throughout the world requires that people
  be able to use their own names, written correctly in their own
  languages and scripts, as mailbox names in email addresses.  This
  document introduces a series of specifications that define mechanisms
  and protocol extensions needed to fully support internationalized
  email addresses.  These changes include an SMTP extension and
  extension of email header syntax to accommodate UTF-8 data.  The
  document set also includes discussion of key assumptions and issues
  in deploying fully internationalized email.

Working Group Summary

 The decision to not provide any means of "automatic
  encapsulation" of UTF-8 email addresses, but instead insist
  that the sender specify an alternate address for downgrading 
  purposes was controversial, but was definitely the decision of 
  the working group.

Document Quality

   This document is not subject to independent implementation,
   but the Chairs believe that it will be a useful tool in producing
   further specifications and guiding subsequent efforts. The Document 
   Shepherd is Harald Alvestrand. The responsible AD is Ted Hardie.

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:10:47 -0400

In case anyone has not seen this...
Thanks to all.

     john

Subject: Document Action: 'Overview and Framework for Internationalized Email' to Informational RFC
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>, eai mailing list <[email-masked]>, eai chair <[email-masked]>, RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:10:59 -0400
List-Id: ietf-announce.ietf.org

Technical Summary

Working Group Summary

Document Quality

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima