Subject: [EAI] Summary and closing of the "ACE" discussion

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:10:17 +0100

It is now time to summarize the long thread on the subject of "ACE".

My conclusions:

- The approach we have taken precludes using an ACE in the SMTP protocol 
or the message headers inside the UTF8SMTP-supporting domain. This is 
outside of the approaches the WG was chartered to consider.

- The option of defining an ACE as part of the downgrade mechanism, to 
be used to represent internationalized addresses in the ASCII SMTP 
domain, has been considered multiple times, and rejected by the WG. We 
have defined the alt-addr mechanism instead. This issue is closed.

- The use of an ACE to represent internationalized email addresses in 
other protocols, or in documents that are not in a defined protocol, is 
not on the charter of this working group. So it's out of scope - anyone 
who wants one has to make the case that one is needed to some group that 
is responsible for that context, and possibly petition the IESG to 
recharter this WG to consider it, if the IESG can be convinced that such 
a recharter would be the right approach.

Conclusion: There is nothing more to be discussed here. The ACE 
discussion is off-topic for this working group.

This topic, in this venue, is closed.

                                 Harald, speaking as working group chair

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima