Subject: [EAI] mailto-eai

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 16:41:31 +0200

Hi, after RFC.hansen-4468upd-mailesc-registry was approved the
rest of this zoo (2822upd, 2821bis, UTF8SMTP, etc.) should be
soon ready, with mailto-eai as a major missing piece of this
puzzle.

Maybe we can fill the gap without obscure syntax for the alt-
address.  A pure EAI-address (no alternative) can be used in
a mailto-bis IRI, folks can use it "as is" with UAs supporting
IRIs and EAI.

The alternative address works in ordinary mailto-bis URIs.  As
with other links, if producers use IRIs they've lost backwards
compatibility, a completely new mailto-eai syntax won't help.

If they care about backwards compatibility they can use two 
mailto: addresses, a mailto-bis IRI for EAI, and a mailto-bis
URI with the alt-address.  

The mailto-eai experiment could simply permit EAI addresses in
addition to 2822upd addresses in mailto-bis URIs, and explain
how this works for mailto-bis IRIs, arriving at four classes:

1 - mailto-bis URI with 2822upd addresses (no EAI)
2 - mailto-bis IRI with 2822upd addresses (no EAI)
3 - mailto-bis URI with EAI addresses (experimental)
4 - mailto-bis IRI with EAI addresses (ditto, nicer)

1+2 actually belongs into mailto-bis, 3+4 in mailto-eai, some
new mailto-bis examples have to be moved to mailto-eai.

 Frank

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima