Subject: [EAI] RFC 5504 on Downgrading Mechanism for Email Address Internationalization

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:09:43 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5504

        Title:      Downgrading Mechanism for Email Address 
                    Internationalization 
        Author:     K. Fujiwara, Ed.,
                    Y. Yoneya, Ed.
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       March 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 48894
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-eai-downgrade-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5504.txt

Traditional mail systems handle only ASCII characters in SMTP
envelope and mail header fields.  The Email Address
Internationalization (UTF8SMTP) extension allows UTF-8 characters in
SMTP envelope and mail header fields.  To avoid rejecting
internationalized email messages when a server in the delivery path
does not support the UTF8SMTP extension, some sort of converting
mechanism is required.  This document describes a downgrading
mechanism for Email Address Internationalization.  Note that this is
a way to downgrade, not tunnel.  There is no associated up-conversion
mechanism, although internationalized email clients might use
original internationalized addresses or other data when displaying or
replying to downgraded messages.  This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Email Address Internationalization Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute