Subject: [EAI] RFC 6857 on Post-Delivery Message Downgrading for Internationalized Email Messages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 14:43:15 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6857

        Title:      Post-Delivery Message Downgrading for 
                    Internationalized Email Messages 
        Author:     K. Fujiwara
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 39255
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-eai-popimap-downgrade-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6857.txt

The Email Address Internationalization (SMTPUTF8) extension to SMTP
allows Unicode characters encoded in UTF-8 and outside the ASCII
repertoire in mail header fields.  Upgraded POP and IMAP servers
support internationalized messages.  If a POP or IMAP client does not
support Email Address Internationalization, a POP or IMAP server
cannot deliver internationalized messages to the client and cannot
remove the message.  To avoid that situation, this document describes
a mechanism for converting internationalized messages into the
traditional message format.  As part of the conversion process,
message elements that require internationalized treatment are recoded
or removed, and receivers are able to recognize that they received
messages containing such elements, even if they cannot process the
internationalized elements.

This document is a product of the Email Address Internationalization Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC