Subject: [EAI] FWD: call for comments on Charmod-Norm

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 11:03:00 -0400

Hi.

Forwarding to the relevant IETF-related I18N for those who don't
follow the IETF list.  Charmod has been the key W3C document on
non-ASCII string handling for the web.  It has been referenced
many times in our discussions even by those who disagreed with
some of its provisions.   This new Charmod-Norm draft has been
in progress for a long time but represents a new (and, IMO,
much-improved) specification for string normalization and
comparison.  I'd encourage anyone with interest or the belief
that they have competence in this area to review it. 

Comments as specified below and _not_, please, to any of the
list copied on this note.

thanks,
    john

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Monday, May 14, 2018 17:57 +0000
From: "Phillips, Addison" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [W3C I18N] call for comments on Charmod-Norm

Dear IETF participants,

The W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group recently
published a "last call for review" of the "Character Model
for the World Wide Web: String
Matching<https://www.w3.org/TR/charmod-norm>" Note [1].
Because our group felt it was of general interest to IETF, I was
tasked [4] with posting this announcement on this list. We are
looking for comments by Tuesday 29 May.

This document builds on the document Character Model for the
World Wide Web 1.0: Fundamentals<https://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/>
[2] and provides authors of specifications, software developers,
and content developers with a common reference on string
identity matching on the World Wide Web, in order to increase
interoperability. [It is similar, in that regard, to the PRECIS
RFCs in IETF]

All comments are welcome. Please raise them as github
issues<https://github.com/w3c/charmod-norm/issues> [3]. To make
it easier to track comments, please raise separate issues for
each comment and point to the section you are commenting on
using a URL.

Thanks,

Addison Phillips
Principal SDE, I18N Architect (Amazon)
Chair (W3C I18N WG)

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.
[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/charmod-norm
[2] https://www.w3.org/TR/charmod
[3] https://github.com/w3c/charmod-norm/issues
[4] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/709

---------- End Forwarded Message ----------