Subject: Re: [imap5] Where is IMAP5 ?

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 18:42:10 -0700

At 9:48 AM -0400 7/20/11, Cyrus Daboo wrote:

>   If we are going to forge ahead here, I would rather see a brand 
> new protocol that can be data type agnostic (i.e. there is a lot 
> more "stuff" than just email, calendar and contact data that a user 
> might want to store and manipulate and relate - bookmarks, photos, 
> music etc).

Sounds like a job for XMPP.

Of course, in reality that just moves the problem from the protocol 
data types and operations to the XML layer.

--
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in
your pocket then giving Fido only two of them.   --Phil Pastoret

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 09:53:39 +0100

On Tue Jul 26 02:42:10 2011, Randall Gellens wrote:
>> more "stuff" than just email, calendar and contact data that a  
>> user might want to store and manipulate and relate - bookmarks,  
>> photos, music etc).
> 
Get your dirty paws off my nice clean protocol.

> data types and operations to the XML layer.

Right. And XMPP doesn't handle binary data (very well), and there's  
still a problem with supporting multiple conflicting models within  
the same protocol.

What XMPP could do is provide the ACAP-like facilities of  
autoconfiguration, giving a client all the details for smooth  
multi-protocol bootstrapping.

Dave.
-- 
Dave Cridland - mailto:[email-masked] - xmpp:[email-masked]
  - acap://acap.dave.cridland.net/byowner/user/dwd/bookmarks/
  - http://dave.cridland.net/
Infotrope Polymer - ACAP, IMAP, ESMTP, and Lemonade