Subject: Re: [imap5] News about Mark Crispin

From: Pete Maclean <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:10:00 -0500

To Mark,

IMAP development has been a large part of my working life for the 
last 12 years.  I enjoy being part of this highly professional group 
and am sorry that I never met you.  Despite a few differences, 
criticisms and altercations now and then, I stand by my long-held 
view that IMAP was a brilliant design for its time, a work of 
exemplary intelligence.  I, and I hope I can say we, will endeavour 
to keep your brainchild alive and thriving.

Journey well.  With great respect,

Pete Maclean

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 08:44:17 -0500

Mark,

It was an honor to co-author IMAP SORT/THREAD with you and to test our 
implementations against one another.  Your answers, thoughts, and 
opinions on my IMAP questions have always been invaluable.  I will never 
forget drinking sake with you at the "Friends of IMAP dinner" in 
Vancouver.  You have left us a legacy to be proud of.

Godspeed,
Ken

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University

---

From: TC Rindfleisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 15:47:51 -0800

For Mark: Please know that you are in my thoughts -- reflecting on the 
many years we have known each other since the early days at Stanford and 
especially on those heady times when you were part of SUMEX-AIM and we 
first conceived of IMAP as a new vision of distributed email services 
and were able to start that project under the SUMEX umbrella. Others 
have commented on your strong personality, but we were a community of 
strong personalities and your innovativeness and penchant for being 
right fit in very well. Thank you for your many years of contributions 
and friendship.

With fond regards, Tom R.

Thomas C. Rindfleisch
Director, Emeritus
Lane Medical Library
Stanford University School of Medicine

Former Director, SUMEX-AIM Project

---

From: "Bob Armstrong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 18:01:59 -0800

That's very sad.  I knew Mark thru his work on the KS10, TOPS20 networking,
and the Panda Distribution.  I know several people running TOPS20 emulations
using Mark's Panda TOPS20.  It was at his suggestion that Spare Time Gizmos
made the Panda Display panel so that KLH10 and TOPS20 could have a real
blinky lights front panel.  All of that is yet another of Mark's
contributions.  He'll be missed.

Bob Armstrong