Subject: [IMRG] IETF meeting in Atlanta

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 15:25:20 -0500

Folks-

While there has been a bunch of good and useful discussion on the
list thus far I want to try to formulate a few near-term directions
and work items for the group.  So, ...

  * I encourage folks to throw ideas (and cycles) onto the list for
    discussion.  (I'd be happy to iterate offline, too, if you'd
    perfer.) 

  * Also, I'll be at the upcoming IETF meeting in Atlanta.  If
    anyone would like to sit down and chat a little about what
    they'd like to see the group do, or about some piece of work
    you're working on that would be useful to work on through the
    IMRG I'd certainly be game.  Just drop me a note and we can work
    out a convenient time.  I arrive sometime Monday (not exactly
    sure when) and leave on Friday.

Thanks!

allman

--
Mark Allman -- NASA GRC/BBN -- http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/

_______________________________________________
IMRG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imrg

---

From: Tanja Zseby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:04:39 +0100

Hi Mark,

I work for the Fraunhofer institute for open Communication Systems 
(FOKUS) which is a German national research institute. We work in the 
area of measurements for quite some time, e.g.  in meter development, 
control of distributed measurements, sampling, time synchronization, 
etc.. We are also active in IPFIX and PSAMP. I will be at the IETF in 
Atlanta and I would be very interested in a meeting. So please let me 
know when and where you plan to meet.

Kind regards
Tanja

-- 
Dipl.-Ing. Tanja Zseby			    	      	
FhI FOKUS/Global Networking			Email: [email-masked]	
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31				Phone: +49-30-3463-7153
D-10589 Berlin, Germany				Fax:   +49-30-3463-8153
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
"Living on earth is expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun." (Anonymous)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:13:25 +0100 (CET)

> know when and where you plan to meet.

I'll be there too and agree that a lunch/dinner/... meeting with a short
round to discuss who will be doing what, is a good idea.

Henk

> >    sure when) and leave on Friday.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                    Email: [email-masked]
RIPE Network Coordination Centre     WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
Singel 258                         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1016 AB Amsterdam                    Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands                   Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That problem that we weren't having yesterday, is it better? (Big ISP NOC)

---

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:09:23 -0500

> > I work for the Fraunhofer institute for open Communication
> > Systems (FOKUS) which is a German national research
> > institute. We work in the area of measurements for quite some
> > time, e.g.  in meter development, control of distributed
> > measurements, sampling, time synchronization, etc.. We are also
> > active in IPFIX and PSAMP. I will be at the IETF in Atlanta and
> > I would be very interested in a meeting. So please let me know
> > when and where you plan to meet.
> 
> I'll be there too and agree that a lunch/dinner/... meeting with a
> short round to discuss who will be doing what, is a good idea.

Folks-

Let me clarify a little.  There will not be an official, large IMRG
meeting in Atlanta.  I will be around most of the week and would be
thrilled to talk with people or small groups about specific things
that we might work through the IMRG.  If you have some thoughts on
working some of your own work or starting a project under the
auspices of IMRG then please drop me a note and we can arrange a
time to chat.

I am appending the bit from the charter on sample sorts of things
the RG is chartered to think on, as a reminder.

I look forward to many useful discussions next week.

Thanks,
allman

---
The following represent examples of the types of projects that the RG
might undertake:

  * Tackle outstanding issues dealing with measurement infrastructures
    (e.g., Surveyor, NIMI), such as: scalability of meshes, security of
    measurement tools in the mesh, access control, resource control,
    scheduling issues.

  * Tackle the often thorny issue of sharing measurement data within
    the community.  The RG could define a systematic way for storing
    measurements and any needed meta-data that should be kept with the
    measurements.  In addition, the RG could foster research into systems
    for remote requests for measurement, analysis, and anonymization,
    facilitating a formed of reduced access to data that cannot be
    directly released.

  * Provide a venue for assessing new measurement techniques, and a forum
    for sharing preliminary findings in rough form, to encourage further
    work and collaboration.

  * Provide a venue for developing models based on network measurements,
    helping to better understand network dynamics and aiding researchers
    attempting to conduct useful simulations of the network.

  * Foster communication between the research and operations communities.
    For example, operators could provide feedback to researchers as to
    what sorts of network properties/characteristics they would like to see
    measured, and how well current techniques work.

  * Catalog core problems that need to be addressed.  Even if the RG is
    not actively working on these problems, having a "wish list" of
    outstanding problems may foster work in these areas.

Coordination - the RG will provide:
    
  * A venue for exploring measurement techniques before they are ready
    to be standardized by the IETF (in IPPM, for instance).

  * A venue for discussing real world experience with IETF defined metrics
    and measurement techniques.

  * A "measurement arm" to various IETF working groups to gain a better
    understanding of how protocols work in the wild (e.g., which HTTP
    capabilities are being implemented or the performance of the global
    DNS system).