Subject: [IMRG] RE: IMRG futures

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:29:47 -0600

So, I took Mark up on his offer and chatted briefly with him yesterday. 
I offer the following as ideas, just to start the ball rolling as to 
directions that this RG could go.

1) Organize a central information point for all the measurement 
repositories that currently exist.
     Apparently this has been tried several times in the past. (and I 
learned from Mark that CAIDA is working on this, so maybe IMRG can work 
with the folks at USC). There all various repositories worldwide, and 
it might be a good thing to organize links to them all (Note this is 
NOT a proposal to have a single worldwide repository). Obviously, there 
would have to be commitment to maintain this over time. Otherwise, it 
will just fade out and become a disappointment. What extra value can 
the IMRG bring to this?
     (a) Set standards for data being included. I.e. Define what 
constitutes useful measurement data.
     (b) Set commonly accepted ways to process data (maybe more of a 
handbook of what to do and what not to do when processing measurement 
data)

2) Start a subgroup on measurement of Wireless LANs. There is a lot of 
research in the academic world on this, and it could be fruitful to 
create a place in the IMRG where this work could go on, and people 
could collaborate. Could include also physical layer and MAC layer 
measurements. Maybe eventually make a repository.

3) Become an extender of established measurement programs (like the 
ones at CAIDA, RIPE, etc) in the sense of looking at areas or problems 
that these groups would like to solve, but don't have the resources or 
time or the problems are too far in the future. This is sort of a "gap 
analysis" of places where the technology or science needs some effort. 
It requires some work to identify problems that it would be useful to 
solve. Again, this would require a lot of collaboration between this 
group and these existing groups.

I hope that others have ideas that they are willing to post also....

Regards,
Phil Chimento 

_______________________________________________
IMRG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imrg

---

From: Tristan Henderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:30:54 -0500

> measurements. Maybe eventually make a repository.

This is a good time for me to stop lurking on this list. We do quite a
bit of wireless measurement at Dartmouth and are currently providing a
repository of WLAN traces (see http://cmc.cs.dartmouth.edu/data/). We
would like to extend this and I would be very interested in joining
any discussion in the IMRG. We've run into lots of problems that I'm
sure others have encountered (privacy, anonymisation, management) and
would be happy to share experiences, learn from others, and help
develop best practices.

I'd also be interested in curriculum ideas. I would very much like to
increase the level of measurement in our networking courses. Like
Jennifer mentions, I'd like our students to have a grounding in
conducting experiments and analysing data. Does anyone have any
examples of successful projects that they have used? For us the most
obvious project would involve wireless measurement, but I'm a bit wary
of sending students out with wireless laptops to snoop on each other's
e-mail messages.

Cheers,
Tristan