Subject: [IMRG] Mark Allman: announceing WACI

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:07:43 -0400

(reminder)

Subject: announceing WACI
From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 14:03:06 -0400

Folks-

We have had a long and slow discussion about a workshop in the area of
application traffic identification.  Below is an announcement of the
workshop.  It seems like there are lots of really interesting ideas in
the air on this topic and we hope that folks are interested in coming to
share their ideas and discuss the general area.

Many thanks to BBN for agreeing to host this workshop.  Please send
questions to Tim Strayer (workshop chair; address below) or myself.

Thanks,
allman

IMRG Workshop on Application Classification and Identification (WACI)

There is considerable interest in identifying network traffic by 
application to support network provisioning, network security, and 
service quality.  Techniques that rely on a well-known port number 
to identify an application may give a gross notion of the spread of 
applications, but it is not a reliable means for application 
identification in the face of evasion.  There has been work in using 
traffic characteristics to construct application equivalence classes, 
using techniques such as machine learning, principal component 
analysis, deep packet inspection and others.
The Workshop on Application Classification and Identification 
(WACI) aims to bring together the most active researchers in this 
research area. The main objectives of the one-day workshop will be 
to discuss recent advancements in this field, discuss new 
approaches and their implications, and identify open problems that 
require further research.

Topics of interest (include, but are not limited to):
 - Statistical methods for identifying application-layer protocols
 - Methods for finding application classes (file transfer,
   interactive, etc.) 
 - Efficient schemes for using deep packet inspection to identify 
   applications 
 - Identifying applications within tunnels
 - Identifying rogue/nefarious applications
 - Peer-to-peer application identification
 - Peer-to-peer traffic characterization

Submission instructions

We invite interested researchers to submit a 1-2 page abstract or
position statement. Abstracts will be chosen based on their
relevance to the area of application identification, and on the
diversity of the covered topics. There will be no full-paper
submissions or proceedings. Authors of accepted abstracts however
should plan to give a 25-minute presentation that will be posted at
the workshop's web page (TBA). A significant part of the workshop
will be given to discussions and interaction among participants.
Submissions must be in electronic form, as plain-text or PDF (if
graphs are included) documents, and they should be submitted by
e-mail to: Tim Strayer ([email-masked]).

Registration

Attendance at this workshop will be by invitation.  Authors of
submitted abstracts should commit that they will attend the workshop
if their abstract is accepted.  Others interested in attending
should indicate this in email to Tim Strayer ([email-masked]).
There will be no registration fee.

Important Dates
 - July 1, 2007 - submission of 1-2 pages abstract
 - August 15, 2007 - acceptance notification
 - October 3, 2007 - workshop at BBN Technologies

Workshop Location

  WACI will be held at:
    BBN Technologies
    10 Moulton Street
    Cambridge MA, USA

Organizing and program committee

 - Tim Strayer, chair (BBN, [email-masked])
 - Mark Allman (ICIR-ICSI, [email-masked])
 - Grenville Armitage (Swinburne University, garmitage@swin,edu.au)
 - Steve Bellovin (Columbia University, [email-masked])
 - Shudong Jin (Case Western Reserve University, [email-masked])
 - Andrew Moore (CUCL, [email-masked])

Sponsors

The workshop is sponsored by the IRTF's Internet Measurement
Research Group and hosted by BBN Technologies.

_______________________________________________
IMRG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imrg