Subject: [IMRG] CFP: First ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Green Networking

From: "Sue Moon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 20:35:35 +0900

(sorry if you receive multiple copies of this email)

Dear Colleagues:

We are happy to announce the First Workshop on Green Networking, which will
be co-located with ACM SIGCOMM 2010. We hope to bring together people from
industry and academia to share ideas and discuss experiences related to
green networking/computing technologies. Detailed call for papers is
included below, and is also available at:
http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2010/gncfp.php

Please consider submitting a paper, and publicize the workshop among your
colleagues.  The deadline for submission is March 19th, 2010.

Thanks, 

- Jitu Padhye, Paul Barford and Sambit Sahu

First ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Green Networking

Understanding and reducing the energy consumption of computing and
communication infrastructure in home, enterprise and data center
environments is an area of increasing importance for both researchers and
commercial entities. This is an interdisciplinary field by its very nature:
advances in many areas such as computer architecture, operating systems and
compilers are all needed to reduce the energy consumption. Many of the
proposed ideas have a direct impact on how networks are designed and
provisioned. The power consumption of network infrastructure has itself come
under scrutiny. At the same time, we have begun to see networking
technologies play a significant role in reducing energy consumption in other
domains such as utility networks and transportation systems. 

The First Green Networking workshop at SIGCOMM will focus on networking
issues involved in designing green infrastructures in both computing and
non-computing domains. We welcome papers that utilize networking
technologies and principles to other domains besides traditional networking
areas such as transit, energy that influence our daily life. 

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to: 

.         Power measurements and data from empirical studies of computer and
communication infrastructure 

.         Techniques for measuring or estimating power consumption of
computer and communication infrastructure 

.         Techniques for reducing power consumption in data center,
enterprise and home environments 

.         Power consumption of networking infrastructure 

.         Protocol and middleware considerations for reducing power
consumption 

.         Hardware and architectural support for reducing power consumption 

.         Green network design for high density data centers and cloud
computing 

.         Methods that focus on computing and communication systems as key
components for reducing the power footprint in other environments such as
smart grids and smart transportation systems 

.         Application of networking technologies and principles for greening
services and utilities affecting our daily life 

Submissions

All submissions must be original work not under review at any other
workshop, conference, or journal. The workshop will accept papers describing
completed work as well as work-in-progress, so long as the promise of the
approach is demonstrated. Radical ideas, potentially of a controversial
nature, are strongly encouraged. Submissions must be no greater than 6 pages
in length and must be a pdf file. Reviews will be single-blind: authors name
and affiliation should be included in the submission. Submissions must
follow the other formatting guidelines here
<http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2010/submission.php#formatting> . 

Committee

TPC Co-Chairs

Paul Barford

University of Wisconsin-Madison

Jitendra Padhye

Microsoft Research

Sambit Sahu

IBM Research

Committee Members

John Crowcroft

Cambridge University

Ben Greenstein 

Intel Research, Seattle 

Rajesh Gupta 

University of California, San Deigo 

Gianluca Iannaccone 

Intel Research, Berkeley 

Jim Kurose 

University of Massachusetts, Amherst 

Laurent Massoulie 

Thomson Labs 

Parthasarathy Ranganathan 

HP Labs 

Ram Ramjee 

Microsoft Research 

Suresh Singh 

Portland State University 

Joerg Widmer 

DOCOMO Labs 

Prabal Dutta

U. of Michigan

Important dates

Submissions due

March 19, 2010

Notification

May 14, 2010

Camera ready due

May 28, 2010

Workshop held on

August 30, 2010