Subject: Re: [imss] IPv6 over FC comments [Re: Reminder: IMSS Working Group last call on IPv6 over Fibre Channel Draft Ends Monday Nov 24]

From: "Craig W. Carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:37:12 -0600

Cluadio, Elizabeth,

In a previous e-mail Cluadio made the following recommendation.  This
should be included in the final draft since this is the way all Fibre
Channel N_Port ID fields are specified.

...

   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |     Type      |  Length = 2   |           Reserved            |
    +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
    |                                                               |
    +-                         N_Port_Name                         -+
    |                                                               |
    +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
    |                   N_Port_ID                   |   Reserved    |
    +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+

==> should maybe specify that Reserved fields MUST be zero when
transmitting, and MUST be ignored when receiving (the typical MBZ
rule) ?

Ok.
Additionally, I recently noticed that swapping the last reserved field
with the N_Port_ID field could slightly facilitate the processing in 32
bit processors, because the N_Port_ID field would be in the "right"
place to directly load the word in a register. The option would be as
follows:

    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |     Type      |  Length = 2   |           Reserved            |
    +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
    |                                                               |
    +-                         N_Port_Name                         -+
    |                                                               |
    +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
    |   Reserved    |                   N_Port_ID                   |
    +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+

Any comment on this idea?

...

------------------------------------------------------------------
Craig W. Carlson                   mailto:[email-masked]
QLogic Corporation                                  (952) 932-4064
6321 Bury Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55346

_______________________________________________
imss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imss