Subject: [imss] Publication Requested: VF MIB

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:30:38 -0500

RFC publication has just been requested for the VF MIB draft.  The
PROTO process (cf. draft-ietf-proto-wgchair-doc-shepherding-05.txt)
is being used.  Here is the PROTO writeup:

PROTO writeup: 
                       The Virtual Fabrics MIB 
                   draft-ietf-imss-fc-vf-mib-01.txt

Requested Publication Status: Proposed Standard
PROTO shepherd: David L. Black (IMSS WG Chair)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

   1.a) Have the chairs personally reviewed this version of the Internet
        Draft (ID), and in particular, do they believe this ID is ready
        to forward to the IESG for publication?

Yes.  There are (at least) a couple of minor editing problems that can
be addressed during MIB Doctor Review or after IETF Last Call:
- A character has been dropped from the title of Section 7 - the title
	should be: The T11-FC-VIRTUAL-FABRIC-MIB Module  (not -IRTUAL-)
- The [FC-FAM-MIB] reference is out of date.  The current version of
	that draft is draft-ietf-imss-fc-fam-mib-03.txt .

   1.b) Has the document had adequate review from both key WG members
        and key non-WG members?

Yes.  This document has been reviewed by Fibre Channel experts in
Technical Committee T11 (Fibre Channel standards organization)
in addition to members of the IMSS WG, and the IMSS WG's MIB expert.

        Do you have any concerns about the
        depth or breadth of the reviews that have been performed?

No.

   1.c) Do you have concerns that the document needs more review from a
        particular (broader) perspective (e.g., security, operational
        complexity, someone familiar with AAA, etc.)?

Needs the usual IETF OPS Area MIB Doctor review.

   1.d) Do you have any specific concerns/issues with this document that
        you believe the ADs and/or IESG should be aware of?  For
        example, perhaps you are uncomfortable with certain parts of the
        document, or have concerns whether there really is a need for
        it.  In any event, if your issues have been discussed in the WG
        and the WG has indicated it that it still wishes to advance the
        document, detail those concerns in the write-up.

No.

   1.e) How solid is the WG consensus behind this document? Does it
        represent the strong concurrence of a few individuals, with
        others being silent, or does the WG as a whole understand and
        agree with it?

It's hard to distinguish the two cases due to somewhat thin WG membership.
There is solid support for this document both in the WG and from T11.

   1.f) [... not distributed to the WG ...]

   1.g) Have the chairs verified that the document adheres to all of the
        ID nits? (see http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html).

The online nits checker complains about a boilerplate paragraph being split
across pages, which is not an actual problem.  Everything else is fine.

   1.h) Is the document split into normative and informative references?

Yes.

        Are there normative references to IDs, where the IDs are not
        also ready for advancement or are otherwise in an unclear state?
        (note here that the RFC editor will not publish an RFC with
        normative references to IDs, it will delay publication until all
        such IDs are also ready for publication as RFCs.)

There is one normative reference to an Internet-Draft:

draft-desanti-fc-fabric-addr-mgr-mib-0x.txt - As noted above, this draft
has been replaced, and hence this reference should be to
draft-ietf-imss-fc-fam-mib-03.txt, which is already in the RFC Editor's
Queue.

   1.i) For Standards Track and BCP documents, the IESG approval
        announcement includes a write-up section with the following
        sections:

        *    Technical Summary

        *    Working Group Summary

        *    Protocol Quality

   1.j) Please provide such a write-up.  Recent examples can be found in
        the "protocol action" announcements for approved documents.

-- Technical Summary

   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information 
   Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the 
   Internet community. In particular, it describes managed 
   objects for information related to the Fibre Channel 
   network's Virtual Fabric function. 

--  Working Group Summary

   This document was reviewed in the IMSS WG and in Technical Committee
   T11 (the official Fibre Channel standards body).  T11 voted to
   recommend a prior version of this document to the IETF.

-- Protocol Quality

   The protocol has been reviewed for the IMSS WG by Keith McCloghrie.
   An approval announcement will need to credit a MIB Doctor as having
   reviewed this for the IESG as Keith is both an author of this draft
   and the IMSS WG's MIB expert.

----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
imss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imss