Subject: [imss] FC-SP MIB - consensus RE-check

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:57:34 -0500

Based on some further technical analysis, the -01 FC-SP MIB
draft took a different approach to two of the technical issues
that arose during WG Last Call than was described in my previous
email and hence these issues need to be rechecked with the WG.

> 1) In the SA-MIB:
> 
> > the intent of omitting the FabricIndex from
> > the INDEX clause of t11FcSpSaTSelPropTable (and t11FcSpSaTransTable)
> > was so that the same list of Traffic Selectors (or transforms) could
be
> > proposed for multiple SA's even when the SA's are on different
Fabrics,
> > which seemed like it would be useful in some situations.  However,
the
> > need to have a StorageType which is common for the lists and for the
SA
> > proposals, introduces an (always present) complication which I think
> > outweighs the potential (and at most occasional) benefit. That is, I
no
> > longer believe the omission is worthwhile.  If the WG agrees, I
propose
> > to change the rows in t11FcSpSaTSelPropTable and t11FcSpSaTransTable
to
> > be per-Fabric, i.e., to add t11FcSpSaIfFabricIndex into the INDEX
> > clause of the t11FcSpSaTSelPropTable and of the t11FcSpSaTransTable.
> > (Indeed, the DESCRIPTION of t11FcSpSaIfStorageType is already worded
to
> > assume this change will be made.)

Instead of adding the fabric as an index to these two tables, this
issue has been addressed in the -01 version of the draft by adding a
StorageType to each table, maintaining the existing table structure.
 
> 2) In the POLICY-MIB:
> 
> > The second is that t11FcSpPoAdminFabricName is read-only, as indeed
it
> > must be because it's part of the Active Policy which cannot be
modified
> > once it's active.  So, how is the Fabric name specified when Policy
is
> > in use ??  I believe the answer is that t11FcSpPoNaSummaryFabricName
> > needs to be added as a read-create object in the
t11FcSpPoNaSummaryTable.
> > If the WG agrees, then I will add this new object.

This one's subtle.  It turns out that the addition is not needed
because the t11FcSpPoAdminFabricName is obtained from
t11FcSpPoNaSwListFabricName when the policy is activated, and
the latter object is already read-create.  This approach corresponds
to FC-SP where the Fabric Name is in the Switch Membership List
Object and that object has to be created while the policy is
inactive for obvious reasons.

While the Switch Membership List Object may seem to be a non-
obvious place to put the Fabric Name, it's what FC-SP actually does,
so the MIB should do likewise.  The DESCRIPTION clause for
t11FcSpPoAdminFabricName already reflects this approach:

  t11FcSpPoAdminFabricName OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX       FcNameIdOrZero (SIZE (8))
      MAX-ACCESS   read-only
      STATUS       current
      DESCRIPTION
             "The administratively-specified name for this Fabric, as
             specified in the active Switch Membership List Object.
             This value is meaningful only ...

but some additional text in Section 3.4.5 would be useful to
point out that the fabric name is in the Switch Membership List
Object, as opposed to the Policy Summary Object.

We need a -02 version of the FC-SP MIB draft to correct a tooling
problem that fouled up the table of contents, so this text should
be added to that version.  The -01 version of the draft is at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imss-fc-fcsp-mib-01.txt

--- WHAT HAPPENS NEXT ---

Internet-Draft submission is now cut off until the IETF
meeting week that starts on March 10th.

If anyone has objections to the above approaches, please post
them to the imss list by Wednesday, March 12th.  Absence of
objection will be taken as an indication of WG agreement with
these approaches.

Assuming that nothing major surfaces, Keith should submit a
-02 version of the draft containing the final results shortly
thereafter, and then I will send that draft forward to our ADs
with a request that it be published as an RFC.

Thanks,
--David (imss WG chair)
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
imss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imss