Subject: Re: Issue 3 (Re: [INDEP] Forward with independent

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:07:52 -0700 (PDT)

*> So the cases where we have a conflict are:
  *> 
  *> 1) The RFC Editor decides to publish documents that it knows are harmful 
  *> to the Internet

Harald,

This case is ludicrous.  The RFC Editor would certainly never publish a
document that it believes to be harmful to the Internet.  However, in
fact no one can ever know for sure whether harm will result from
publication of any particular specification.  It is all relative.

  *> 
  *> 2) The RFC Editor disagrees with the IESG about whether or not they are 
  *> harmful to the Internet

This is the only meaningful case, and it is the one that causes
conflict.  For example, the IESG feared that RFC 2188 would harm the
Internet, but the RFC Editor finally decided that we did not believe
it, and published anyway.  I don't think there was any harm as a
result.

There have been half a dozen cases over the past 8 years when the RFC
Editor really did not believe the IESG's claim of harm, but we chose not
to publish just because we wanted to be cooperative with the IESG.

Bob Braden

_______________________________________________
INDEPENDENT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/independent