Subject: [INDEP] Last Call: Independent Submissions to the RFC Editor (draft-klensin-rfc-independent-05)

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 09:28:57 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

This message initiates a last call for

    draft-klensin-rfc-independent-05.txt
    "Independent Submissions to the RFC Editor"
    http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-klensin-rfc-independent-05.txt

Abstract

    There is a long-term tradition in the Internet community, predating
    the IETF by many years, of use of the RFC series to publish  
materials
    that are not rooted in the IETF standards process and its review and
    approval mechanisms.  These documents, known as "independent
    submissions", serve a number of important functions for the Internet
    community, both inside and outside of the community of active IETF
    participants.  This document discusses the independent submission
    model and some reasons why it is important.  It then describes
    editorial and processing norms that can be used for independent
    submissions as the community goes forward into new relationships
    between the IETF community and its primary technical publisher.

Given the holiday season this last call will terminate Sunday January  
28 at 24:00 GMT.

This document is part of a series that documents the current purpose  
and practices with respect to the RFC series. Please read [1] for an  
introduction on the topic. The IAB has established this list to  
provide a forum for the stakeholders in the independent stream and to  
gauge their consensus. The stake-holders in the independent stream  
are a super-set of the IETF community. Readers of this message are  
encouraged to make others aware of this last call.

-- Olaf Kolkman, moderator.

[1]  L. Daigle Ed. "The RFC Series and RFC Editor"
      http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-rfc-editor-01.txt

PS. For your convenience, the differences between the various  
versions can be found via:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-klensin-rfc-independent

-----------------------------------------------------------
Olaf M. Kolkman
NLnet Labs
http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/

_______________________________________________
INDEPENDENT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/independent

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:00:48 +0100

Having been fairly active in commenting on earlier versions,
I'd like to be clear that I am personally happy with this version,
and I thank John for listening patiently.

     Brian

Olaf M. Kolkman wrote:
>    the IETF by many years, of use of the RFC series to publish  materials
> introduction on the topic. The IAB has established this list to  provide 
> a forum for the stakeholders in the independent stream and to  gauge 
> their consensus. The stake-holders in the independent stream  are a 
> super-set of the IETF community. Readers of this message are  encouraged 
> to make others aware of this last call.
> 
> 
> PS. For your convenience, the differences between the various  versions 
> can be found via: