Subject: [INDEP] Re: Last call on draft-klensin-independent...

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:00:51 -0800 (PST)

I did note an issue which I think could use more clarification in this document,
which is whether the Independent Submission track is solely for 
publication of Informational/Experimental RFCs, or whether it can be also 
used to publish BCPs or Standards track RFCs.   I would like to see an 
explicit statement in the document saying that the process only applies to 
Informational/Experimental documents, and cannot be used for other 
purposes.

RFC 3932 Section 1 says that it solely concerns "RFC Editor
documents to Experimental/ Informational" status.  This implies that
the process defined in that document can't be used for Standard track 
documents, but it doesn't preclude other documents from specifying such a 
process.  Given this, I would like to make sure that 
draft-klensin-independent isn't construed as widening the applicability of 
the Independent submission process beyond Informational/Experimental RFC 
publication.

RFC 3932 Section 4 notes that a boilerplate should be included on the
document which says: "This RFC is not a candidate for any level of
Internet Standard", which would again seem to imply exclusion of
Standards Track documents, and possibly even Experimental documents, which 
typically include a statement more along these lines:

   This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet
   community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.

Since documents published as Experimental can eventually be moved onto the 
standards track, while they don't specify Internet standards, they remain 
candidates for consideration. 

_______________________________________________
INDEPENDENT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/independent

of RFC Editor independent submissions proposal
	<independent.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/independent>,
	<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www1.ietf.org/pipermail/independent>
List-Post: <mailto:[email-masked]>
List-Help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/independent>,
	<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>
Errors-To: [email-masked]

I did note an issue which I think could use more clarification in this document,
which is whether the Independent Submission track is solely for 
publication of Informational/Experimental RFCs, or whether it can be also 
used to publish BCPs or Standards track RFCs.   I would like to see an 
explicit statement in the document saying that the process only applies to 
Informational/Experimental documents, and cannot be used for other 
purposes.

RFC 3932 Section 1 says that it solely concerns "RFC Editor
documents to Experimental/ Informational" status.  This implies that
the process defined in that document can't be used for Standard track 
documents, but it doesn't preclude other documents from specifying such a 
process.  Given this, I would like to make sure that 
draft-klensin-independent isn't construed as widening the applicability of 
the Independent submission process beyond Informational/Experimental RFC 
publication.

RFC 3932 Section 4 notes that a boilerplate should be included on the
document which says: "This RFC is not a candidate for any level of
Internet Standard", which would again seem to imply exclusion of
Standards Track documents, and possibly even Experimental documents, which 
typically include a statement more along these lines:

   This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet
   community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.

Since documents published as Experimental can eventually be moved onto the 
standards track, while they don't specify Internet standards, they remain 
candidates for consideration. 

_______________________________________________
INDEPENDENT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/independent