Subject: [Insipid] Protocol Action: 'Marking SIP Messages to be Logged' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-insipid-logme-marking-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 15:40:58 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Marking SIP Messages to be Logged'
  (draft-ietf-insipid-logme-marking-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the INtermediary-safe SIP session ID Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-insipid-logme-marking/

Technical Summary

       This document describes an indicator for the SIP protocol which can be used to mark 
       signaling as being of interest to logging.  Such marking will typically be applied 
       as part of network testing controlled by the network operator and not used in 
       normal user agent signaling.  However, such marking can be carried end-to-end 
       including the originating and terminating SIP user agents, even if a session 
       originates and terminates in different networks.
       
       This document defines a new header field parameter "logme" for the "Session-ID" 
       header field.  Implementations of this document MUST implement session identity 
       specified in [RFC7989].

Working Group Summary

       The work on the document took a relatively long time in the WG. The reason 
       was not so much related to controversies, or different opinions, but more related 
       to the cycles the authors, contributors and reviewers were able to put on the work.
       There is a consensus in the INSIPID WG to publish the document as an RFC and it has 
       received sufficient review to ensure document quality and technical accuracy. 
       
Document Quality

       A number of vendors have indicated that they have implemented, or intend to 
       implement, the document. Individuals representing the implementers were also 
       involved in the work on the document.
      
       The document is also referenced by 3GPP, and support is required for certain IMS 
       use-cases and functions.

Personnel

      Document Shepherd: Gonzalo Salgueiro ([email-masked] ¬ INSIPID WG chair)
      Responsible Area Director: Ben Campbell