Subject: [Int-area] Assigning experimental code points for IP and related protocols

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 08:10:36 +0200

This is the draft that I mentioned during the INT area meeting
yesterday.  It's a result of applying

3692 Assigning Experimental and Testing Numbers Considered Useful. T.
     Narten. January 2004. (Format: TXT=15054 bytes) (Updates RFC2434)
     (Also BCP0082) (Status: BEST CURRENT PRACTICE)

to

2780 IANA Allocation Guidelines For Values In the Internet Protocol
     and Related Headers. S. Bradner, V. Paxson. March 2000. (Format:
     TXT=18954 bytes) (Also BCP0037) (Status: BEST CURRENT PRACTICE)

        Title           : Experimental Values In IPv4, IPv6, ICMPv4,
ICMPv6, UDP and TCP Headers
        Author(s)       : B. Fenner
        Filename        : draft-fenner-iana-exp-2780-00.txt
        Pages           : 8
        Date            : 2005-7-12
        
   When experimenting with or extending protocols, it is often necessary
   to use some sort of protocol number or constant in order to actually
   test or experiment with the new function, even when testing in a
   closed environment.  This document reserves some ranges of numbers
   for experimentation purposes in specific protocols where the need to
   support experimentation has been identified, and describes the
   numbers that have already been reserved by other documents.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fenner-iana-exp-2780-00.txt

I'd love to get feedback on whether the proposed assignments are too
few, too many, or "just right".

Thanks,
  Bill

_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area