Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-templin-linkadapt-03.txt (was: RE: [Int-area] FW: Last Call: 'Fragmentation Considered VeryHarmful'...)

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:14:50 -0700

There seems to be some renewed interest in the way path MTU
assurance could be done for tunnels, so I re-issued my draft
proposal. Some of the things that could probably stand
improvement are:

  - support for IPv*/IPv* tunneling (i.e., not just IPv6/IPv4)
  - widely-applicable means for getting an authenticated probe
    response
  - support for MTUs larger than ~9KB
  - analysis of interactions with 'draft-ietf-pmtud-method'

Is there interest to see this work progress?

Fred
[email-masked]  

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2006 3:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-templin-linkadapt-03.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Link Adaptation for IPv6-in-IPv4 Tunnels
	Author(s)	: F. Templin
	Filename	: draft-templin-linkadapt-03.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2006-10-22
	
IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnel endpoints support an MTU of 1280 bytes or larger
   via static prearrangements and/or dynamic MTU determination based on
   ICMPv4 messages, but these methods have known operational
   limitations.  This document proposes a new MTU determination
   mechanism for IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnels that supports larger MTUs using a
   link adaptation scheme with tunnel endpoint-based segmentation/
   reassembly and dynamic segment size probing.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-linkadapt-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-templin-linkadapt-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-templin-linkadapt-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area