Subject: [Int-area] DSL forum liaison statement on subscriber authentication

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:35:02 -0500

This relates to the earlier discussion on using DHCP or something
else for subscriber authentication and/or network access control.

We have received a liaison statement from the DSL forum.
Please see

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/documents/LIAISON/file457.doc
  https://datatracker.ietf.org/documents/LIAISON/file458.doc
  http://www.dslforum.org/techwork/tr/TR-101.pdf
  http://www.arkko.com/ietf/intarea/dsl2006.887.03.doc

Comments on these requirements and potential approaches
to satisfying them would be appreciated.

Jari

P.S. The last two items have been missed in the IETF liaison
site; I'm working to get them up there.

_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:58:11 -0700

Some of the key issues to keep in mind here are:

1) Is the logical link point-to-point, or is it shared among multiple
devices of the same subscriber, or is it shared among multiple
subscribers?  
Requirement IPAuth-18 and WT-146 implies that all three are legal
models.

2) Is the problem about authenticating access to the local link, or
about authenticating access to the network behind the L3 edge device?
There's no significant difference in the point-to-point link case, but
in the other two models, the difference becomes very significant.  So
for example, for subscriber-to-subscriber communication where
subscribers are on the same shared media, do you care about restricting
access between them?  If so, then L3 is the wrong place to solve the
problem, and the whole notion of IP Sessions is suspect for this
particular problem.  Indeed, the requirement would be for a
network-layer-protocol-independent solution.  Basically you would want a
mechanism which is L2-independent as well as L3-independent.

3) Since power management is an important issue for many hosts, and
there can be (per WT-146) hosts on the link, it is important to not
constantly ping hosts with packets that can result in the host coming
out of a low power state, as this can drastically increase the power
costs (either in electric bill, or battery life) to consumers.  Hence
page 17 of WT-146 can be scary to many people.

-Dave

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jari Arkko [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 2:35 PM
> To: Internet Area
> Cc: Dhc Chairs
> Subject: [Int-area] DSL forum liaison statement on subscriber
> authentication
>