Subject: Re: [Int-area] NTIA request for feedback on DNSSEC deployment at the root zone

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:17:15 +1300

On 2008-10-10 03:50, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
>>
>> There are links to a number of process flow diagrams that may interest
>> you.
> 
> For easy accessibility of those links see:
> http://www.ntia.doc.gov/DNS/DNSSEC.html

I don't think we should endorse in any way the implication that
the NTIA or any other part of the US (or any other) government
gets to decide about this. So I suggest that any formal reponse
from the IAB or IESG should be very clear that this is a decision
for the community to take and implement.

That being said, it's obviously a very desirable thing to do,
and government encouragement seems welcome. I can't comment
on which of the detailed proposals is technically best.

   Brian
_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area

---

From: Tim Polk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:03:32 -0400

Folks,

The National Telecommunications and Information Administration  
published a "Notice of Inquiry" entitled
"Enhancing the Security and Stability of the Internet's Domain  Name  
and Addressing System" in today's
Federal Register:

> SUMMARY: The Department of Commerce (Department) notes the increase in
> interest among government, technology experts and industry
> representatives regarding the deployment of Domain Name and Addressing
> System Security Extensions (DNSSEC) at the root zone level. The
> Department remains committed to preserving the security and stability
> of the DNS and is exploring the implementation of DNSSEC in the DNS
> hierarchy, including at the authoritative root zone level.  
> Accordingly,
> the Department is issuing this notice to invite comments regarding
> DNSSEC implementation at the root zone.

If you have an opinion on whether DNSSEC should or should not be  
deployed in the root zone, I urge you to make
that position known by submitting comments.   Comments are due on  
November 24, 2008.   Contact details are
included in the NOI.

The "html" version of the NOI is available at
          http://frwebgate5.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi? 
WAISdocID=559077321003+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

The PDF version is available at
          http://frwebgate5.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/PDFgate.cgi? 
WAISdocID=559077321003+0+1+0&WAISaction=retrieve

There are links to a number of process flow diagrams that may  
interest you.  (The Federal Register cannot include graphic
content.) Note that you will need to tweak the provided links  
regardless of which version you select; there are formatting
and linewrap issues that prevent following the links automatically.

Thanks,

Tim Polk

---

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 16:50:36 +0200

> interest you.

--Olaf

---

From: Tim Polk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 11:40:18 -0400

Olaf,

Thanks!  That will make everyone's lives much easier.

Tim

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:57:28 -0400

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:03:32 -0400

> and Addressing System" in today's
Note that comments posted to the IETF list aren't seen (at least not
officially) by NTIA.  Follow the procedure in the Federal Register
notice for official comments (and note that they will become part of
the public record).

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb
_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area