Subject: [Int-area] I-D Action:draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Updated Specification of the IPv4 ID Field
	Author(s)       : J. Touch
	Filename        : draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2010-03-26

The IPv4 Identification (ID) field enables fragmentation and
reassembly, and as currently specified is required to be unique
within the maximum lifetime on all IP packets. If enforced, this
uniqueness requirement would limit all connections to 6.4 Mbps.
Because this is obviously not the case, it is clear that existing
systems violate the current specification. This document updates the
specification of the IP ID field to more closely reflect current
practice and to more closely match IPv6, so that the field is defined
only when a packet is actually fragmented and that fragmentation
occurs only at originating hosts or their equivalent. When
fragmentation occurs, this document recommends that the ID field be
unique within the reordering context, rather than an arbitrary,
unenforced upper bound on packet lifetime.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.