Subject: [Int-area] Reveal a user-hint in CGN Scenario

From: Tina Tsou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:28:11 -0700

Hi,
You might be interested to read
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis-00
which analyses various options to reveal a user-hint when address sharing is
used.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-intarea-v4-uid-header-option/
IPv4 Header Option for User Identification in CGN Scenario

This document defines a new IPv4 header option for host identification,
which contains NAT mapping information, e.g. the internal source IP address
before translation.
Each time a NAT device performs translation on an IP packet, NAT mapping
information will be added in the IP header.  With the NAT mapping
information, it will be easy to identify a host.

An action is needed among the options we have so far.

We keep our promises with one another - no matter what!

Best Regards,
Tina TSOU
http://tinatsou.weebly.com/contact.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

To: "int-area at ietf.org" <int-area at ietf.org> 
Subject: [Int-area] Reveal the origin IP address in shared address
deployments (I-D.boucadair-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis) 
From: <mohamed.boucadair at orange-ftgroup.com> 
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 15:56:43 +0100 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

Dear all,

We have submitted this I-D:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis-00

   Analysis of Solution Candidates to Reveal the Origin IP Address in
                       Shared Address Deployments

   As reported in [I-D.ietf-intarea-shared-addressing-issues], several
   issues are encountered when an IP address is shared among several
   subscribers. 

   The sole use of the IPv4 address is not sufficient to uniquely
   distinguish a user.  As a mitigation, it is tempting to investigate
   means which would help in disclosing an information to be used by the
   remote server as a means to uniquely disambiguate packets of
   subscribers using the same IPv4 address.

   This document analyzes a set of solution candidates which have been
   proposed to mitigate some of the issues encountered when address
   sharing is used.  In particular, this document focuses on means to
   reveal the origin of an IP packet when a Carrier Grade NAT is
   involved in the path.  The ultimate goal is to assess the viability
   of proposed solutions and hopefully to make a recommendation on the
   more suitable solution(s).

Comments and inputs are welcome.

Cheers,

Med

****************************************************************************
****
IMPORTANT.Les informations contenues dans ce message electronique y compris
les fichiers attaches sont strictement confidentielles
et peuvent etre protegees par la loi.
Ce message electronique est destine exclusivement au(x) destinataire(s)
mentionne(s) ci-dessus.
Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur ou s il ne vous est pas destine,
veuillez immediatement le signaler  a l expediteur et effacer ce message 
et tous les fichiers eventuellement attaches.
Toute lecture, exploitation ou transmission des informations contenues dans
ce message est interdite.
Tout message electronique est susceptible d alteration.
A ce titre, le Groupe France Telecom decline toute responsabilite notamment
s il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.
De meme, il appartient au destinataire de s assurer de l absence de tout
virus.

IMPORTANT.This e-mail message and any attachments are strictly confidential
and may be protected by law. This message is
intended only for the named recipient(s) above.
If you have received this message in error, or are not the named
recipient(s), please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail
message.
Any unauthorized view, usage or disclosure ofthis message is prohibited.
Since e-mail messages may not be reliable, France Telecom Group shall not be
liable for any message if modified, changed or falsified.
Additionally the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.
****************************************************************************
****

---

From: Benson Schliesser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:37:18 -0500

Hi, Tina -

On 3/14/11 3:28 PM, "Tina Tsou" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ...

I agree that a user-hint feature would be valuable for a CGN.  However, it
is premature to choose one approach at this time.  The analysis done by
Boucadair et al is a good start.  However, we still need more operational
experience and feedback.

Cheers,
-Benson

---

From: Tina Tsou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:11:41 -0700

Benson，
Thank and respect your quick reply.

My co-authors are testing on
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-intarea-v4-uid-header-option/

After the test, we may provide more operational experience and feedback.

We keep our promises with one another – no matter what!

Best Regards,
Tina TSOU

-----Original Message-----
From: Benson Schliesser [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:37 PM
To: Tina Tsou; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Reveal a user-hint in CGN Scenario

Hi, Tina -

Cheers,
-Benson