Subject: [Int-area] I-D Action:draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 13:45:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Updated Specification of the IPv4 ID Field
	Author(s)       : J. Touch
	Filename        : draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-02.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2011-03-14

The IPv4 Identification (ID) field enables fragmentation and
reassembly, and as currently specified is required to be unique
within the maximum lifetime on all datagrams. If enforced, this
uniqueness requirement would limit all connections to 6.4 Mbps.
Because this is obviously not the case, it is clear that existing
systems violate the current specification. This document updates the
specification of the IPv4 ID field in RFC 791, RFC 1122, and RFC 2003
to more closely reflect current practice and to more closely match
IPv6 so that the field is defined only when a datagram is actually
fragmented. It also discusses the impact of these changes on how
datagrams are used.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:15:39 -0700

Hi, all,

This update:

- adds the RFCs updated to the abstract, as ID-NITS suggests
- updates one of the references
- serves to update the document so it won't expire in April

I.e., no content changes.

Joe

On 3/14/2011 1:45 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Int-area mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area