Subject: [Int-area] Bringing RRG results into IntArea WG

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:38:04 -0400

Since the issue of bringing RRG discussion concepts into the working
group came up ...

Most of the things that were discussed in the RRG, and other things
that impinge on the fundamentals of Internet architecture, have
natural WG/RG homes already (e.g. VA -> GROW, SCTP -> TSVWG).  Others
such as ILNP (the one recommended by the RRG chairs) and IRON do not.

The Internet Area WG charter says

"The Internet Area receives occasional proposals for the development
and publication of RFCs that are not in scope of an existing working
group and do not justify the formation of a new working group. The
INTAREA WG has a secondary role to serve as the forum for developing
such work items in the IETF."

So it's fine to bring all sorts of ideas into the INTAREA WG for
discussion and refinement ... but the goal of doing so should be to
move them toward being deployable and interoperable.  We're here to do
Real Internet Engineering for Real Needs :-).  And as always, the goal
of discussion should be to figure out which aspects are unclear and
need further work.  How does that sound?

Scott

---

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:49:48 -0700

Hi Scott, 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Scott Brim
> Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:38 AM
> To: Internet Area
> Subject: [Int-area] Bringing RRG results into IntArea WG
> 

I agree. In the case of IRON, the high-level architecture is
already published, and people seem to understand it. But,
specific details such as how the tunneling between clients
and servers is done, the way clients communicate address
changes to servers, the way redirection is handled, etc.
all need to be discussed and refined.

I have several documents on these subjects which I think
could be considered under the INTAREA's domain of interest.
Can we consider the INTAREA WG as a potential venue?

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]
 
> 
> Scott
> _______________________________________________
> Int-area mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area
>