Subject: [Int-area] Last Call: <draft-ietf-intarea-router-alert-considerations-05.txt> (IP Router Alert Considerations and Usage) to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 07:07:58 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Internet Area Working Group WG
(intarea) to consider the following document:
- 'IP Router Alert Considerations and Usage'
  <draft-ietf-intarea-router-alert-considerations-05.txt> as a BCP

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-07-13. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The IP Router Alert Option is an IP option that alerts transit
   routers to more closely examine the contents of an IP packet.
   Resource reSerVation Protocol (RSVP), Pragmatic General Multicast
   (PGM), Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP), Multicast Listener
   Discovery (MLD), Multicast Router Discovery (MRD) and General
   Internet Signalling Transport (GIST) are some of the protocols that
   make use of the IP Router Alert option.  This document discusses
   security aspects and usage guidelines around the use of the current
   IP Router Alert option.  Specifically, it provides recommendation
   against using the Router Alert in the end-to-end open Internet as
   well as identify controlled environments where protocols depending on
   Router Alert can be used safely.  It also provides recommendation
   about protection approaches for Service Providers.  Finally it
   provides brief guidelines for Router Alert implementation on routers.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-router-alert-considerations/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-router-alert-considerations/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.