Subject: [Int-area] RFC 6269 on Issues with IP Address Sharing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:35:11 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6269

        Title:      Issues with IP Address Sharing 
        Author:     M. Ford, Ed.,
                    M. Boucadair, A. Durand,
                    P. Levis, P. Roberts
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 71660
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-intarea-shared-addressing-issues-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6269.txt

The completion of IPv4 address allocations from IANA and the Regional
Internet Registries (RIRs) is causing service providers around the
world to question how they will continue providing IPv4 connectivity
service to their subscribers when there are no longer sufficient IPv4
addresses to allocate them one per subscriber.  Several possible
solutions to this problem are now emerging based around the idea of
shared IPv4 addressing.  These solutions give rise to a number of
issues, and this memo identifies those common to all such address
sharing approaches.  Such issues include application failures,
additional service monitoring complexity, new security
vulnerabilities, and so on.  Solution-specific discussions are out of
scope.

Deploying IPv6 is the only perennial way to ease pressure on the
public IPv4 address pool without the need for address sharing
mechanisms that give rise to the issues identified herein.  This 
document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Internet Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC