Subject: [Int-area] Last Call: <draft-ietf-intarea-ipv6-required-01.txt> (IPv6 Support Required for all IP-capable nodes) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:33:05 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Internet Area Working Group WG
(intarea) to consider the following document:
- 'IPv6 Support Required for all IP-capable nodes'
  <draft-ietf-intarea-ipv6-required-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-09-02. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Given the global lack of available IPv4 space, and limitations in
   IPv4 extension and transition technologies, this document deprecates
   the concept that an IP-capable node MAY support IPv4 _only_, and
   redefines an IP-capable node as one which supports either IPv6 _only_
   or IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack.  This document updates RFC1812, RFC1122 and
   RFC4084 to reflect the change in requirements.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-ipv6-required/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-ipv6-required/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 11:15:24 +1200

I fully support this document. It could be tuned in the way
Keith suggested, but basically it is a Good Thing.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter