Subject: [Int-area] I-D Action: draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:02:46 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Internet Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Updated Specification of the IPv4 ID Field
	Author(s)       : Joe Touch
	Filename        : draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-03.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2011-09-14

   The IPv4 Identification (ID) field enables fragmentation and
   reassembly, and as currently specified is required to be unique
   within the maximum lifetime on all datagrams. If enforced, this
   uniqueness requirement would limit all connections to 6.4 Mbps.
   Because this is obviously not the case, it is clear that existing
   systems violate the current specification. This document updates the
   specification of the IPv4 ID field in RFC791, RFC1122, and RFC2003 to
   more closely reflect current practice and to more closely match IPv6
   so that the field is defined only when a datagram is actually
   fragmented. It also discusses the impact of these changes on how
   datagrams are used.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-03.txt