Subject: [Int-area] Last Call: <draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-05.txt> (Updated Specification of the IPv4 ID Field) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 07:38:16 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Internet Area Working Group WG
(intarea) to consider the following document:
- 'Updated Specification of the IPv4 ID Field'
  <draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-06-14. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The IPv4 Identification (ID) field enables fragmentation and
   reassembly, and as currently specified is required to be unique
   within the maximum lifetime for all datagrams with a given
   source/destination/protocol tuple. If enforced, this uniqueness
   requirement would limit all connections to 6.4 Mbps. Because
   individual connections commonly exceed this speed, it is clear that
   existing systems violate the current specification. This document
   updates the specification of the IPv4 ID field in RFC791, RFC1122,
   and RFC2003 to more closely reflect current practice and to more
   closely match IPv6 so that the field's value is defined only when a
   datagram is actually fragmented. It also discusses the impact of
   these changes on how datagrams are used.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.