Subject: [Int-area] RFC 6864 on Updated Specification of the IPv4 ID Field

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 17:48:17 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6864

        Title:      Updated Specification of the IPv4 
                    ID Field 
        Author:     J. Touch
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 44418
        Updates:    RFC791, RFC1122, RFC2003

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6864.txt

The IPv4 Identification (ID) field enables fragmentation and
reassembly and, as currently specified, is required to be unique
within the maximum lifetime for all datagrams with a given
source address/destination address/protocol tuple.  If enforced,
this uniqueness requirement would limit all connections to 6.4 Mbps
for typical datagram sizes.  Because individual connections
commonly exceed this speed, it is clear that existing systems
violate the current specification.  This document updates
the specification of the IPv4 ID field in RFCs 791, 1122,
and 2003 to more closely reflect current practice and to more
closely match IPv6 so that the field's value is defined only when a
datagram is actually fragmented.  It also discusses the impact of
these changes on how datagrams are used.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Internet Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC