Subject: [Int-area] FW: I-D Action: draft-templin-6man-linkadapt-00.txt

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 22:26:11 +0000

Hi, I revived this draft and cut out a bunch of stuff that detracted
from the main idea. The main idea is that a link that is suffering
from link adaptation overload can send an advisory message to the
original source asking that it reduce the size of the packets it
sends - even if the size is less than 1280 bytes. This is an advisory
message and does not necessarily indicate packet loss. The message is
also backward compatible with legacy nodes.

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 3:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-templin-6man-linkadapt-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv6 Path MTU Interactions With Link Adaptation
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-6man-linkadapt-00.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2013-09-09

Abstract:
   IPv6 intentionally deprecates fragmentation by routers in the
   network.  Instead, links with restricting Maximum Transmission Units
   (MTUs) must either drop each too-large packet and return an ICMPv6
   Packet Too Big (PTB) message or perform link-specific fragmentation
   and reassembly (also known as "link adaptation") at a layer below
   IPv6.  This latter category of links is often performance-challenged
   to accommodate steady-state link adaptation.  This document therefore
   proposes an update to the base IPv6 specification to better
   accommodate links that require link-specific adaptation to meet the
   IPv6 minimum MTU of 1280 bytes.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-6man-linkadapt

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-6man-linkadapt-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt