Subject: Re: [Int-area] Comments on draft-ietf-intarea-tunnels-00.txt

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 17:37:36 +0000

Trying to reboot this discussion from last year, the following is proposed for
tunnel MTU handling in 'draft-ietf-intarea-tunnels':

  - Do not set any explicit limitation on the size of packets that can be admitted
    into the tunnel ingress (i.e., no MTU clamping)
  - For packets no larger than 1280-ENCAPS bytes, and for packets larger than
    1500 bytes, encapsulate and send without fragmentation
  - For packets larger than 1280-ENCAPS but no larger than 1500, encapsulate
    and break the packet into two fragments no larger than 1024 bytes then
    send both fragments
  - If probing indicates that packets in this "fragmentation zone" can traverse
    the tunnel without fragmentation, suspend fragmentation and begin
    sending whole packets
  - make a best effort to deliver any ensuing Packet to Big (PTB) messages
     to the original source.

See Section 3.12 of draft-templin-aerolink for the detailed specification.

Comments?

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]