Subject: [Int-area] RFC 8117 on Current Hostname Practice Considered Harmful

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 09:23:30 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8117

        Title:      Current Hostname Practice Considered Harmful 
        Author:     C. Huitema, D. Thaler, R. Winter
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 26750
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-intarea-hostname-practice-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8117

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8117

Giving a hostname to your computer and publishing it as you roam from
one network to another is the Internet's equivalent of walking around
with a name tag affixed to your lapel.  This current practice can
significantly compromise your privacy, and something should change in
order to mitigate these privacy threats.

There are several possible remedies, such as fixing a variety of
protocols or avoiding disclosing a hostname at all.  This document
describes some of the protocols that reveal hostnames today and
sketches another possible remedy, which is to replace static
hostnames by frequently changing randomized values.

This document is a product of the Internet Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC