Subject: Re: [Int-area] [nvo3] Comments on draft-ietf-nvo3-gue-05

From: Chema Gonzalez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 19:01:18 -0700

2 minor comments:

1. There is a small typo. Where it says:

B.1. Priveleged ports

It should say:

B.1. Privileged ports

2. Not sure whether this is right or not: Sections 3.3.2 and 5.4.1
suggest the use of 94 as the next proto header value ("(proto =
94,IPIP)"). Both linux/include/uapi/linux/in.h and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IP_protocol_numbers suggest the
right ipip value is 4. The wiki link suggests 94 was used by "KA9Q NOS
compatible IP over IP tunneling", while the linux kernel points at
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nikander-esp-beet-mode-05.

Thanks,
-Chema

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 16:00:17 -0700

On 3/14/2017 7:01 PM, Chema Gonzalez wrote:
> right ipip value is 4. 
Wikipedia isn't authoritative; IANA is:
https://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers/protocol-numbers.xhtml

> The wiki link suggests 94 was used by "KA9Q NOS

This is a good reason to check with IANA. You'll find there:
94 	IPIP 	IP-within-IP Encapsulation Protocol 	
	[John_Ioannidis
<https://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers/protocol-numbers.xhtml#John_Ioannidis>]

See RFC1853, which explains why John has that assignment.

Joe