Subject: [Int-area] AD sponsoring draft-thaler-iftype-reg-02

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 18:22:30 +0000

Hi all,
  I would like to AD sponsor the following draft that provides guidelines for definition of new interface types in the IANA IfType registries

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thaler-iftype-reg-02

If you have any concerns either with the contents of the draft, or about me AD sponsoring it please let me know before 2019/06/26.

Thanks
Suresh

NOTE: I have CCed: all the working groups that I thought could be potentially
interested in this work. If you think I have missed out some WG(s) please let
me know.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:45:52 +0000

Hi Suresh, all,

I fully support this effort.

I hope the authors can address two comments we received as part of draft-ietf-softwire-iftunnel that I do think belong to this I-D:

* Add a clear mention under https://www.iana.org/assignments/smi-numbers/smi-numbers.xhtml#smi-numbers-6 to indicate this is about "tunnelType Registry".

* Add some text to encourage UDP-based tunnel protocol designers to register their own code instead of reusing the one currently assigned to generic UDP encap (8).

Thank you.

Cheers,

Med

De : Int-area [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Suresh Krishnan
Envoyé : mercredi 12 juin 2019 20:23
À : int-area; 6man; dhcwg; V6 Ops List; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Objet : [Int-area] AD sponsoring draft-thaler-iftype-reg-02

Hi all,

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 16:28:14 +0000

Suresh

The concern I have is that it muddies the waters further on the standing
of tunnels so while I think that its proposals for ifType per se are
fine, I would like it to make explicit that tunnels are out-of-scope at
this time.

I have been trying to reconcile the workings of softwire, in creating a
tunnel YANG module, with the existing IANA structure and failing.  I
believe that is because the current status of tunnels is unclear.  Thus
the softwire I-D refers to a registry that does not exist (as such)
although the URL that the softwire I-D does. I think the timing
unfortunate in that IMHO the softwires I-D will get pressed ahead before
this work can complete, so quite what this I-D then says about tunnels
will be coloured by what then exists for tunnels.

So this I-D should make clear what a tunnel is, when it is not an
interface, but otherwise declaring tunnels out-of-scope, for a future
I-D to do a comparable job for tunnels, setting up a tunnel registry
from which MIB modules, YANG modules and anything else can be derived
(as long as the relevant data is supplied - SMI needs integers, YANG
does not, which I-Ds do not always recognise although the Designated
Experts can take care of that).

Finally, when I first encountered this I-D I asked on NETCONF and NETMOD
WG lists if anyone knew of it, where it was being worked on and got no
reply - which surprised me.  I note that you have not copied them
although they were involved in making the interface type registry what
it currently is when creating the YANG module for interface types.  I
wonder if other WG have an interest, CCAMP or TEAS perhaps.  I agree
that int-area is the WG best equipped to work on it and that it needs
working on.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Suresh Krishnan" <[email-masked]>
To: "int-area" <[email-masked]>; "6man" <[email-masked]>; "dhcwg"
<[email-masked]>; "V6 Ops List" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 7:22 PM

Hi all,
  I would like to AD sponsor the following draft that provides
guidelines for definition of new interface types in the IANA IfType
registries

If you have any concerns either with the contents of the draft, or about
me AD sponsoring it please let me know before 2019/06/26.

Thanks
Suresh

NOTE: I have CCed: all the working groups that I thought could be
potentially
interested in this work. If you think I have missed out some WG(s)
please let
me know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------

> _______________________________________________
> Int-area mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area
>