Subject: [Int-area] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6-08.txt

From: Vladimir Olteanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 23:40:05 +0200

Hi,

We've submitted a new version of the SOCKSv6 draft.

We've addressed comments regarding support for Happy Eyeballs and 
Encrypted SNI. Both require DNS-like functionality from the SOCKS proxy. 
ESNI, in particular, requires TXT queries.

To solve these issues elegantly, and to avoid adding a (possibly 
ever-growing) subset of DNS features to SOCKS, we've decided to follow a 
simpler route. Draft-08 allows the proxy to expose a default DNS service 
to the client. The client simply requests a connection to 0.0.0.0:53 (or 
:::53), and is presented with a plaintext DNS service over TCP. The 
SOCKS daemon can simply proxy the TCP connection to a pre-configured DNS 
server, or provide the service itself.

Clients now have all of the features required to implement Happy Eyeballs.

We've also added an option whereby the client asks the proxy to use the 
Happy Eyeballs mechanism on its behalf. This might be useful if there's 
significant delay between the client and the proxy's vantage point (e.g. 
Tor) or if the proxy uses multiple DNS servers (because it can only 
expose a single, possibly aggregated, DNS service). It currently lacks 
any of the knobs from RFC 8305. (We're unsure whether this particular 
feature will go anywhere.)

Cheers,
Vlad

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6-08.txt
Date: 	Mon, 04 Nov 2019 12:45:30 -0800
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Vladimir Olteanu <[email-masked]>, Dragos Niculescu 
<[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6-08.txt
has been successfully submitted by Vladimir Olteanu and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name: draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6
Revision: 08
Title: SOCKS Protocol Version 6
Document date: 2019-11-04
Group: Individual Submission
Pages: 38
URL: 
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6-08.txt
Status: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6/
Htmlized: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6-08
Htmlized: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6
Diff: https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6-08

Abstract:
The SOCKS protocol is used primarily to proxy TCP connections to
arbitrary destinations via the use of a proxy server. Under the
latest version of the protocol (version 5), it takes 2 RTTs (or 3, if
authentication is used) before data can flow between the client and
the server.

This memo proposes SOCKS version 6, which reduces the number of RTTs
used, takes full advantage of TCP Fast Open, and adds support for
0-RTT authentication.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat