Subject: [Int-area] Contractual Networking at IETF 112

From: Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 18:38:57 -0700

Hello folks,

I have organized a side meeting on Contractual Networking for IETF 112.  
It is happening on Tuesday at 10am Pacific Time.

==== Contractual Networking ====

This session offers discussion about how to enforce agreements at the 
network layer between different parties in a communication. We could use 
in-band or out-of-band solutions, solutions at layer 3, 3.5, or layer 4. 
We would like to discuss the potential mechanism to provide/negotiate a 
contract. Should these be introduced as data within Internet packets to 
provide the contractual context to the flow, or should this be kept in 
the control plane? How should we ensure compliance? Is IP with some 
label option enough? Should IP be evolved?  Alternatively, should 
compliance mechanisms reside in the control plane, or in virtual 
network/network slices?

Contractual networking encompasses mechanisms to provide / negotiate a 
contract and to ensure that the terms of the contract are being met. 
Multi-party contracts are feasible but significantly more difficult.  
There may be multiple ways to enforce the terms of the contract, 
suggesting that enforcement may be considered separately from contact 
negotiation.  The necessary data could include accounting information, 
service level agreements, crypto material, QoS signifiers, etc., all 
according to the agreed upon terms of the contractual arrangement 
between the parties.  The terms of the contract are considered to be 
stable during the life of the contract.

Speakers will discuss various aspects of contractual networking, 
including network validation, service level objectives, intent-based 
networking, and access authorization for network resources. Exploring 
the suitability of various models of implementation is encouraged - for 
instance, segment routing or network service headers may be suitable to 
assure adherence to the terms of the contract.  Techniques for contract 
negotiation and data structures for efficient forwarding are of interest.

This session is not aimed at forming a working group.  If interest is 
expressed during the meeting, we will discuss next steps and try to 
identify whether the work fits within current working groups.

====================

Regards,
Charlie P.