Subject: Re: [Int-area] Continuing the addressing discussion: what is an address anyway?

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 16:14:53 +0000

AERO/OMNI use several address types with varying uniqueness properties:

1) Globally-unique or unique private IPv6 or IPv4 addresses that are configured from
    Mobile Network Prefixes (MNPs) that are administratively assigned to a node.

2) Administratively-assigned Unique Local Addresses (ULA) that are algorithmically derived
    from the MNPs, and therefore also unique.

3) Temporary ULAs that are locally generated through a 104 bit random number generation
     and therefore statistically assured to be unique for the (short-term) duration that they
     would be used. They include a well-formed IPv6 prefix and can be routed the same as
     an ordinary IPv6 address.

4) (Hierarchical) Host Identity Tags ((H)HITs) with uniqueness properties established through
     the HIP specifications and can also serve as an identity since there is attestation. Also
     compatible with IPv6 routing.

5) UUIDs (RFC4122) that have good uniqueness property but lack a well-formed IPv6
    prefix that would be useful for routing purposes. Still, a UUID could conceivably serve
    as an IPv6 "address" within a bounded local routing region that uses /128 prefix lengths.

I am not sure what this thread is talking about, but these are the address types that
AERO/OMNI talk about and I think the list is comprehensive. Unless you can see
something obvious that is missing?

Thanks - Fred