Subject: [Int-area] 1st ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Future of Internet Routing & Addressing (FIRA)

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 15:10:50 -0000

Hi All,

There has been a lot of discussion about potential changes to Internet
addressing schemes on this list recently. We have organised a SIGCOMM 2022
workshop covering several topics related to these discussions. The workshop
CFP may be found here:   

1st ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Future of Internet Routing & Addressing (FIRA)
https://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2022/workshop-fira.html 

The Future of Internet Routing and Addressing (FIRA) workshop aims at
bringing these communities together with the intention of synthesizing a
unified architectural view on how routing and addressing ought to evolve. In
other words, FIRA is looking to investigate and expand the boundaries of
what can be achieved by introducing new architectures rather than point
solutions, those architectures extending existing or inventing new routing
and addressing techniques that modify the default forwarding behavior to be
based on other information present in the packet, said behavior being either
configured policy or dynamically programmed into the routers and devices.
These new forwarding behaviors aim at causing new and alternative path
processing by routers, such as:

Determinism of quality of delivery in terms of throughput, latency, jitter,
drop precedence.
Support for resilience in terms of survival of network failures and delivery
degradation.
Support for highly distributed, virtualized service execution environments,
where route changes are aligned (in time) with the ability to establish new
service execution points

Improvement of routing performance in terms of the volume of data that has
to be exchanged both to establish and to maintain the routing tables.

Deployability in terms of configuration, training, development of new
hardware/software, and interaction with pre-existing network technologies
and uses.

Efficiency of manageability in terms of, i. diagnostic management, ii.
management of Service KPIs with/without guarantees, and iii. dynamic and
controlled instantiation of management information in the packets.

The FIRA workshop also solicits work on use cases, design principles,
architectures, techniques, implementations, and experience insights that
address the highlighted objectives.
<<

We encourage submissions from everyone working in routing and addressing. 

Please submit your paper via https://fira2022.hotcrp.com.  

Best,
Adrian