Subject: [Int-dir] Intdir telechat review of draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc793bis-25

From: Bernie Volz via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 08:27:59 -0700

Reviewer: Bernie Volz
Review result: Ready

I am an assigned INT directorate reviewer for draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc793bis (-25).
These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the Internet Area
Directors. Document editors and shepherd(s) should treat these comments just
like they would treat comments from any other IETF contributors and resolve
them along with any other Last Call comments that have been received. For more
details on the INT Directorate, see
https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/intdir/about/.

Based on my review, if I was on the IESG I would ballot this document as YES
(or NO OBJECTION).

This document is useful to simplify the work of TCP software maintainers and
future TCP implementers. Having implemented several TCP stacks (albeit in the
late 1980s and 1990s before many of the documents incorporated and/or
referenced where written), I see that this updated specification would greatly
assist implementers and maintainers.

It has impact to the INT area in that proper and current operation of TCP
stacks is critical to the operation of the Internet.

A few very minor nits (most of these are just things the RFC-Editor will
review): - That the Glossary is near the end, rather than the beginning, is a
bit unusual. And, some terms are defined inline (such as 3WHS, and not included
in the glossary). Likely standardizing this would be a fairly large
undertaking. - There is one use of "three way" instead of "three-way". - There
is one instance of "receivers's" which I think should just be "reliever's". -
"recomendations" is misspelled. - There are mixed uses of "lower level" and
"lower-level". - There is "users authority" which I think should be "user's
authority". - The TCP Header table in the IANA section might use the "footnote"
technique of the table in Appendix B to avoid the page width issues.

Thanks to the TCPM WG and authors for putting this document together.

---

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 20:15:14 +0000

Thank you Bernie, I am trusting your review and will enter a NO OBJECTION ballot based on your review

It was especially helpful as I am on vacations on a Spanish beach ;-) hence unable to review the document on my own.

Regards

-éric

-----Original Message-----
From: Int-dir <[email-masked]> on behalf of Bernie Volz via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Bernie Volz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, 22 September 2021 at 16:28
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Int-dir] Intdir telechat review of draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc793bis-25

    Reviewer: Bernie Volz
    Review result: Ready

    _______________________________________________
    Int-dir mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-dir