Subject: Re: newIANA (was Fram behind closed doors via opaque channels)

From: "Richard J. Sexton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:57:43 -0400 (EDT)

I have been guilty of a great injustice toward Dave Crocker and I apologize most
profusely. He did indeed write RFC822.

It's no secret Dave and I dont' get along, I will try harder in the future to
not let that show, and verify what I am told is true; in this case it was not.

Davem please accept my most humble apologies.

--
The most important thing in the programming language is the name.  A
language will not succeed without a good name.  I have recently invented
a very good name and now I am looking for a suitable language.
     -- D. E. Knuth, 1967

---

From: Carl Malamud <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 02:58:05 -0400 (EDT)

> not let that show, and verify what I am told is true; in this case it was not.

Geez.  Matt Drudge lives.  First, editing other people's work is
one of the toughest jobs in the world and one of the most valuable
jobs in the entire IETF process.  Router requirements, DNS Security,
SNMP, MIME, and most of our other real standards are because somebody
like Dave Crocker took the time to get self-absorbed prima-donnas
to drop their personal agendas in favor of a group consensus.

Second, editing RFC822 was a highly technical endeavor.  People were
going off in many directions, and Dave helped email from splintering
into competing factions.  

Third, and this is strictly from a personal point of view, if you were
to accuse me of having not written one of my own books, I would sue
you in court for libel.  Apology notwithstanding, you went way over
the line.

It is nice that you are pledging yourself to verify what you are told
is true.  I, for one, will have a tough time ever believing what you
say after this little example of your fact-gathering capabilities.  If
you want to be a journalist, do it right.  If you want to be an engineer,
why don't you go write some code? 

Carl Malamud