Subject: (ION) I-D ACTION:draft-halpern-ion-r2r-nhrp-00.txt (fwd)

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 12:16:37 -0400 (EDT)

I just noticed that the enclosed announcement was only sent to the
IETF-announce list.  This will be discussed at length at the upcoming
IETF, so please read it (and comment if you like on the list). 

Thanks,
Andy

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 10:26:14 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce:;@ietf.org
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-halpern-ion-r2r-nhrp-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: NHRP for Destinations off the NBMA Subnetwork
	Author(s)	: J. Halpern, Y. Rekhter
	Filename	: draft-halpern-ion-r2r-nhrp-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 26-Jun-98
	
   The NBMA Next Hop Resolution Protocol (NHRP) [1] specifies a
   mechanism that allows a source station (e.g., a host or a router) on
   an NBMA subnetwork to find the NBMA subnetwork address address of a
   destination station when the destination station is connected to the
   NBMA subnetwork. For the case where the destination station is off
   the NBMA subnetwork the mechanism described in [1] allows to
   determine the NBMA subnetwork address of an egress router from the
   NBMA subnetwork that is ``nearest'' to the destination station.  If
   used to locate an egress router wherein the destination station is
   directly behind the egress router, the currently document NHRP
   behaviors are sufficient.  However, as documented elsewhere [2],
   there are cases where if used between routers for generalized
   transit, NHRP can produce loops.
 
   This document describes extensions to the NBMA Next Hop Resolution
   Protocol (NHRP) [1] that allow to acquire and maintain the
   information about the egress router without constraining the
   destination(s) to be directly connected to the egress router.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-halpern-ion-r2r-nhrp-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-halpern-ion-r2r-nhrp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-halpern-ion-r2r-nhrp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Squire)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 15:17:15 -0400

Joel, Yakov - 

As a minor suggestion for the r2r draft, how about including a bit in the
flags field of the extension so that the responder may indicate it is a
router.  This would provide an easy means for administratively turning off
router-to-router shortcuts.  Seems like a good switch for admins to have.  

- Matt
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Squire)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 16:51:39 -0400

>router-to-router shortcuts.  Seems like a good switch for admins to have.  

It may be better to include this "router indication" in a CIE, or in the
flags field of the packet (analagous to the Q bit).  It would be nice to
know that as a router I can try to establish shortcuts, but won't
mistakenly cause a loop because of a R2R shortcut.  The destination will
know that I'm a router from the Q-bit, but I can't to tell if it is a
router/host.  
- Matt