Subject: GSSAPI service registry

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 14:07:11 -0800 (PST)

I was looking for the GSSAPI service registry for services used in the
host-service name form, and couldn't find it.  So I asked IANA to create
the registry after fishing through RFCs to find the ones which specified
service names.  There is now a preliminary registry at:

<http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/gssapi-service-names>

(note this is currently not linked to the top-level IANA assignments
page).

It was then that I discovered there was also a reference to GSSAPI in the
protocol and service name registry used by DNS WKS records:

<http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/service-names>

This latter registry is really a registry of protocols.  Something like
"rcmd" which reflects a service which can be provided by more than one
protocol (on different ports) just doesn't fit DNS WKS intended use.  In
addition, this registry has no references to specifications of the
protocols and it has a lot of junk entries.

This group should reach rough concensus on one of two actions:

(1) Ask IANA to strike the reference to GSSAPI from the protocol name list
and to link the gssapi-service-name registry to their top-level registry
list.

(2) Ask IANA to remove the gssapi-service-name registry, but add the
values listed there to the protocol name registry.

I prefer (1) because I think it is semanticly cleaner.

		- Chris