Subject: Re: Tired of Waiting

From: "Richard J. Sexton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:19:50 -0400 (EDT)

>>The model is much like that for 800 numbers, where it has worked quite 
>>well.
>
>Only because there is a single registry for 800 numbers. Are you, then,
>advocating a single registry for all domain names?

There's a paper floating aorund describing the problems with 800
portability. Anybody seen it lately ? It wasn't pretty. The 
bottom line was Bell screwed a bunch of small companies. 

--
The most important thing in the programming language is the name.  A
language will not succeed without a good name.  I have recently invented
a very good name and now I am looking for a suitable language.
     -- D. E. Knuth, 1967

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 00:20:23 -0400

> bottom line was Bell screwed a bunch of small companies. 

Who might "Bell" be in the current world?

.pm