Subject: Protocol Action: ATM Signalling Support for IP over ATM - UNI Signalling 4.0 Update to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:37:19 -0500

The IESG has approved ATM Signalling Support for IP over ATM - UNI Signalling 4.0 Update <draft-ietf-ion-sig-uni4.0-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the Internetworking Over NBMA Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary

This document defines how to use the ATM call control signalling
procedures defined in UNI Signalling 4.0 to support IP over ATM in
environments as described in RFC 1577. This documents updates a small
part of RFC 1577 (which is based on UNI Signalling 3.1) but does not
replace it.  Among the new features found in UNI Signalling 4.0 are
Available Bit Rate signalling and traffic parameter negotiation.  This
draft highlights the features of UNI Signalling 4.0 that provide IP
entities capabilities for requesting ATM service in sites with SVC
support, whether it is private ATM or publicly provisioned ATM, in
which case the SVC support is probably configured inside PVPs.

The specification is only relevant to IP when used for "best effort"
connectionless service. In particular, this document does not pertain
to IP in the presence of implemented IP Integrated Services.  The
topic of IP with Integrated Services over ATM is still ongoing work.

Working Group Summary

 There was consensus within the WG for the approach outlined in this
 document with no significant issues raised during the Last Call
 period.

Protocol Quality

 This document was reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten and Jeffrey
 Burgan.