Subject: MARS (RFC2022)

From: Sebastien Faure <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 15:21:43 +0100 (MET)

want my MARS to support multiple layer 3 protocol. And something is
unclear to me about the CSN (Cluster Sequence Number).
	In Section 9 of RFC 2022, it is said that "Every MARS and MARS
CLient MUST treat CMI in the context of the protocol type carried in the
MARS message", but what about the CSN?
1 Should one consider it the same way as CMI, that is to say, a MARS MUST
manage as CSNs as it supports layer 3 protocol, and each MARS Client must
interpret the CSN in the context of the protocol type carried in the MARS
message?
2 Should one consider a unique CSN for a given MARS? And thus the
following
situation can happen:
A MARS Client will try to revalidate all the VCs of its caches when it
misses a MARS
message even if the missed message didn't concern a protocol that this
client support

Is it a implementator choice?
 
Thanks

Sebastien FAURE

---

From: Grenville Armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 19:41:59 -0500

Hi Sebastien,

The CSN is specific to a particular instance of a MARS Cluster.
A MARS can support (in theory at least) multiple Clusters, one
per L3 protocol. So yes, the CSN is interpreted in the context
of the protocol referred to in the message containing the
sequence number.

gja

-- 
________________________________________________________________________
Grenville Armitage                          High Speed Networks Research
http://nj5.injersey.com/~gja              Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies