Subject: RE: (ION) Multiple ARP servers

From: manujp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 98 12:10:00 PST

section 8.6 of classic 2.01

"The order in which client
   selects servers to attempt registration, is a local matter, as are
   the number of retries and timeouts for such attempts."

the second case would also , in my opinion , be implementation dependent.

regards,
 -Manu

 -----Original Message-----
From: owner-ion [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 1998 12:10 PM
To: ion
Cc: jmp
Subject: (ION) Multiple ARP servers

I see that classic 2 provides for a list for ATMARP servers (but only   
defines
the behaviour for a single server). Then I see SCSP detailing the   
behaviour
of the servers to each other, with atmarp extensions talking about the
ATMARP specific packet format.

What I can't find anywhere is some details on the clients behaviour to:

1. choose an initial address from the list of possible candidates
2. choose an alternate address after (maybe an outside agent helps) the   
client
   find(s) out that the current ARPSERVER is dead.

The impression I'm getting is that the client can chose any address for   
1.
and any address except the one it is using for 2. since all ATMARP   
servers
being part of that list and supposedly doing SCSP should have up to date
caches.

What SCSP implementations are there currently or planned?

Cheers
JM
 -----8<-----
Jean-Michel Pittet,     [email-masked]     Phone:650-933-6149   
     FAX:933-3542
Silicon Graphics, Inc., 2011 N.Shoreline Blvd,8U-802, Mountain View CA   
94043

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: manujp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 98 12:26:00 PST

>Depending on your application you do not want to wait 20 minutes but
>would like to find out failure faster. On the other hand you might not
>want or you can't decrease the ARP timouts to that granularity level.
>Then you will use a seperate NW watchdog type falure detection on the
>hosts you care about.

Once you send the ATMARP PDU you can find out that the server's dead in a   
time
dictated by ipoaLisRetries and ipoaLisTimeout the default combination
being 2 * 10 secs.

Did I miss something here ?

 -Manu