Subject: Offline/Online access modes

From: "Colon, Carlos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 09:37:39 -0500

Can someone please help:

1)	What is the best way to implement a server which handles Offline and
Online clients efficiently, that is:

a)	for offline(local and remote) clients we like the server to transfer
all message data(not a path to the data)
b)	for online(remote) clients we like the server to transfer a URL path
to the data and then stream the data to the client upon request
c)	for online(local) clients we like the server to return a UNC path to
the data

How do one tell the server what kind of client it's dealing with?

Also, are IMAP referrals the right way to unify two separate message stores
for a single client?  Any other way?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Carlos Colon

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 18:06:13 -0800 (PST)

> How do one tell the server what kind of client it's dealing with?

The client asks for whatever data it needs; the server doesn't need to
know.

		- Chris