Subject: Re: (ION) <draft-ietf-ion-mib-07.txt>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 98 13:50:42 EST

Paul,

>Question on the VC table: I find it puzzling that the entry type for
>PVCs is "static" given that those entries are created by the operation
>of a protocol (InARP) and not by management.  I would have thought
>that type "static" would apply only to management entries, and
>"dynamic" for entries that are created by protocol (and are subject to
>change and timeout).

>Could someone explain why it was done this way?

It was thought that PVCs would be configured manually at a system.
I would consider a PVC that was configured via creation of a
ipoaConfigPvcEntry to be equivalent to manual configuration as oppose
to something like InARP. Section 3.1.4 says:

  "...ipoaVcType indicates if the entry is for an SVC or a PVC.  An
  ipoaVcEntry, corresponding to an PVC, is created automatically when an
  ipoaConfigPvcEntry is created and the IP Address at the end of the PVC
  is discovered.  The associating ipNetToMediaTable entry would have its
  ipNetToMediaType set to static(4).  ipNetToMediaTable entries created
  during ATMARP processing have a ipNetToMediaType of dynamic(3)."

Since the ipNetToMediaEntry was created as the result of configuring
a ipoaConfigPvcEntry it was thought that static(4) would be best.

Regards, Ken
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:03:16 -0500

>>>>> "kennethw" == kennethw  <[email-masked]> writes:

 kennethw> Paul,
 >> Question on the VC table: I find it puzzling that the entry type
 >> for PVCs is "static" given that those entries are created by the
 >> operation of a protocol (InARP) and not by management.  I would
 >> have thought that type "static" would apply only to management
 >> entries, and "dynamic" for entries that are created by protocol
 >> (and are subject to change and timeout).

 >> Could someone explain why it was done this way?

 kennethw> It was thought that PVCs would be configured manually at a
 kennethw> system.  I would consider a PVC that was configured via
 kennethw> creation of a ipoaConfigPvcEntry to be equivalent to manual
 kennethw> configuration as oppose to something like InARP. Section
 kennethw> 3.1.4 says:

 kennethw> "...ipoaVcType indicates if the entry is for an SVC or a
 kennethw> PVC.  An ipoaVcEntry, corresponding to an PVC, is created
 kennethw> automatically when an ipoaConfigPvcEntry is created and the
 kennethw> IP Address at the end of the PVC is discovered.  The
 kennethw> associating ipNetToMediaTable entry would have its
 kennethw> ipNetToMediaType set to static(4).  ipNetToMediaTable
 kennethw> entries created during ATMARP processing have a
 kennethw> ipNetToMediaType of dynamic(3)."

 kennethw> Since the ipNetToMediaEntry was created as the result of
 kennethw> configuring a ipoaConfigPvcEntry it was thought that
 kennethw> static(4) would be best.

Thanks.

I guess there are conflicting pressures here.  While management was
involved indirectly, the actual creation of the entry and the contents
of the entry are not from management.  We end up with the odd property
that some "static" entries (these here) disappear after timeout, while
non-ATM static entries do not because the entry itself is directly set
by management.

Oh well, I guess that's the breaks.  Appreciate the clarification...

	paul