Subject: Re: ipNetToMediaPhysAddress

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:54:56 -0500

>>>>> "kennethw" == kennethw  <[email-masked]> writes:

 >> Also, what does "E.164 encoded in native format" mean?  The only
 >> native format I know of for E.164 is BCD encoding.  Is the 15-byte
 >> encoding supposed to be one digit per byte?  Bizarre.  If so, is
 >> that ascii digits or binary digits?  It has to be stated somewhere
 >> around here (since I don't think it's anywhere else).

 kennethw> E.164 encoded in native format means 15 octets in ASCII
 kennethw> format as oppose to a 8 octet BCD encoded one.

Thanks.  I guess I won't use that format, especially since it doesn't
show up in the protocols.  Where is this documented, by the way?  And
for that matter, when is it expected to be used?  ("never" would be a
good answer.)

 >> Sounds ok.  I guess we can push on the NetToMedia issue in the
 >> Atom MIB discussion rather than the Ipoa MIB discussion.

 kennethw> I don't think there is an issue with
 kennethw> ipNetToMediaPhysAddress. I've always thought that it was
 kennethw> implementation dependent as to its actual content. I will
 kennethw> add a clarifying comment on this in the IPOA-MIB.

Huh?  What would be the reason for having it be implementation
dependent?

	paul