Subject: Protocol Action: Definitions of Managed Objects for Classical IP and ARP Over ATM Using SMIv2 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 07:13:05 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Definitions of Managed
Objects for Classical IP and ARP Over ATM Using SMIv2'
<draft-ietf-ion-mib-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This document is
the product of the Internetworking Over NBMA Working Group.  The IESG
contact persons are Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This document defines a Management Information Base (MIB) for
supporting Classical IP and ARP over ATM. The MIB consists of three
components, one implemented by all IP over ATM nodes, one implemented
by ATM ARP clients, and one implemented by ATM ARP servers.

Working Group Summary

The WG reached consensus on this MIB. It has been through multiple
Last Calls, with each one resulting in careful reviews that lead to
further refinement.

Protocol Quality

The MIB was reviewed for the IESG by John Flick. Jeffrey Burgan and
Thomas Narten also reviewed the document. There are already multiple
implementations of the MIB.

NOTE to RFC EDITOR:

In Section 3.1.5, replace the first two paragraphs with the following:

   An entry in the ipoaVcTable is created after the InATMARP reply is
   successfully received for an ipoaConfigPvcEntry during its activation.
   InATMARP should return the IP Address of the other end of the PVC in
   order to have the needed indexes to create an ipNetToMediaEntry and an
   ipoaVcEntry.

   The corresponding ARP Cache entry SHOULD be deleted whenever
   a PVC becomes unusable.