Subject: (ION) Mobile NHCs

From: Albert Manfredi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 14:39:01 -0500

Perhaps I'm having a problem understanding the mobile NHC concept at
all, as well as how it might play with mobile ATM.

An ATM Mobile Terminal (MT) will supposedly have calls routed _to_
it, wherever it might be. The schemes being discussed for this
include the concept of a temporary AESA whose prefix depends on
current location, and on a "home" server which keeps track of this
MT (I'm trying to get this "home server" idea deleted, but that's
another story).

If the MT is also an NHC, how does this work?

One possibility might be that IP routing finds the "home NHS," the
"home NHS" and ATM "home server" are the same thing, and that the
ATM "home server" sets up a shortcut ATM VC to the mobile NHC. But
this is sort of ugly, and the idea that this is a shortcut is
somewhat funny. However, it could work. The IP address could remain
fixed, and the mobility aspect would be taken care of by Wireless
ATM (WATM).

To find _true_ shortcuts to mobile terminals, using IP topology and
routing, I would think the IP address would have to learn mobility.
Much as the AESA is having to do. And for the same reasons.

All very fascinating.

Bert
[email-masked]
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.