Subject: Administrivia: spam

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:19:50 -0500

As you can all see, we've gotten a bit of spam on the ion list recently.
I'm hoping it goes away by itself, but if any of you out there are
majordomo hackers and know how to configure it to filter out particular
source addresses, please send a private reply back to me.

One alternative that I know how to do is to restrict the list so that only
the list members can send.  However, I'm afraid that this will be too
restrictive, since many people send from email addresses that don't exactly
match the address they used to subscribe to the list.

A second alternative would be for me to personally approve every message
before it hits the list.  Besides my lack of time for this option, it would
freeze up the list when I'm on vacation or on the road without email.

Any other alternatives will be welcome.

Let's NOT discuss this further on the list itself!

Andy

________________________________________________________________________
Andrew G. Malis  [email-masked]  phone:978 952-7414   fax:978 392-1484
Ascend Communications, Inc.        1 Robbins Road     Westford, MA 01886