Subject: Using IPv8 Addressing with IPv6

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 15:34:30 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
<snip>
>
>The continued disregard of the express desire of the community is forcing
>us into a set of actions that we have never contemplated before. The IESG
>has been forced to consider moderating the IETF list, whose open-ness is
>something we have jealously guarded. Please do not force us into that.
>Please, instead, act responsibly.
>

Fred,

What types of discussions will you be censoring ?

Will people be allowed to discuss how to map
47-bit IPv8 addresses into the 128-bit IPv6 address
fields ?

Should we just use the right-most 48 bits as follows ?

1GGG TTTT SSSS SSSS AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA

G - Galaxy
T - TOS
S - StarGate
A - IPv4-like Address

Can we sell NIC cards with this addressing loaded into the
MAC address field ? Will that be OK with you and CISCO ?

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com

---

From: Dave Liggett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 14:59:37 -0700

Let's be rational here.

It's obvious that this list needs to be moderated since self control doesn't
seem to be working.

Over the last couple of weeks, this list has appeared to be more like an AOL
chat forum that a professional discussion (e.g. the Re: Ambler pretends to own
.WEB again, Re: and Where is the RFC editor and Re: Tired of Waiting threads).

-- Dave

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 00:45:41 -0700

>What types of discussions will you be censoring ?

I don't think I used the word "censor". Every email list has a topic, and
the topic of the mailing list of the Internet Engineering Task Force is
things that pertain to the engineering of the Internet. Every mailing list
has someone who manages it, and someone whose responsibility it must be to
assure that it stays to its topic. In the case of the IETF list, I, the
chair of the IETF, and the designated stuckee for that task.

I should think that this would not be news to you. You have been removed
from many lists for carrying on off-topic discussions. gTLDs, Who doesn't
like whom, and why they don't like them, are not engineering issues. They
are off-topic, and inappropriate to a list of several thousand people
looking for engineering content.

As to the set of things you mention, I am not aware of an internet draft or
a mailing list for the discussion of that subject. I have little doubt that
you have created such a list. There is nothing wrong with starting an
engineering discussion on the IETF list, although I should think that it
might start out with a proposal, in the form of an internet draft
describing the protocol you describe as "IPv8". I would expect, as most
discussions do, that the discussion would in short order move to a list
specific to the subject. You should be aware, however, that the IP version
number 8 was assigned to Paul (Tsuchiya) Francis' PIP proposal; you really
should request an IP version number from the IANA, so that there is no
question of interoperability.