Subject: Re: Tired of Waiting

From: "Richard J. Sexton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:35:27 -0400 (EDT)

At 09:17 PM 7/14/98 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
>"Richard J. Sexton" writes:
>> Yeah, thanks anyway Bob, but I'd prefer not to pay 3 - 10 times as much for
>> a domain registraton fvia this ITU sponsored "protection".
>
>You know, you keep claiming that CORE registrars are going to charge
>vast amounts, but I don't see any evidence of that. I suppose this is
>one of those "chant something often enough and people will eventually
>believe it" sort of deals.

Perry, poeple have been charging for "pre-registrations". I really don't
care if you believe me or not. Enough poeple have seen the fees, and
paid them that what you can remember is not relevant.

>In any case, ANY organization upset at how much CORE registrars were
>charging will, under our system, be free to simply join CORE and
>charge less. Presumably they would get customers, assuming their
>service was acceptable. The free market in action, you know.

Right, just pay $10,000, and have $500,000 US in the bank... Perry,
we've danced this tune before. The band has stopped playing, IAHC
is dead issue. Get over it.

--
The most important thing in the programming language is the name.  A
language will not succeed without a good name.  I have recently invented
a very good name and now I am looking for a suitable language.
     -- D. E. Knuth, 1967

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 00:25:44 -0400

"Richard J. Sexton" writes:
> Perry, poeple have been charging for "pre-registrations".

Which is an entirely different market from charging for "registrations". 
I mean that strongly.

> Right, just pay $10,000, and have $500,000 US in the bank...

Not quite, but I do like your vitriol.

> The band has stopped playing, IAHC is dead issue. Get over it.

I'm less sure of this than you are. Time will tell.

Perry