Subject: Re: (ION) IPOA-MIB and transmission sub-numbering policy

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 98 15:08:59 EDT

Gary,

>I am happy to see that RFC 2225 and RFC 2320 were published yesterday.
>That is real good news!

Me too.

>I am curious, however, about the policy used to number objects under
>the "transmission" sub-hierarchy.  How did the "ipoaMIB" object come to
>be defined as "{ transmission 46 }" instead of "{ transmission 114 }"?

The RFC editor sent me a note asking where I thought the MIB should
be registered. I thought that using { transmission x } was better
than { mib-2 x } due to the nature of the MIB. Use of the ipOverAtm(114)
ifType is optional. I would expect to see lots of use of the
aal5 layer (ifType of 49) as well as a virtual IP layer as the
attachment point. Therefore, I didn't see the MIB OID having to be
the same as ipOverAtm(114). To be honest I didn't realize that
some MIBs even had this relationship! If a mistake was made then
it was mine for not making a better recommendation. In any case the
current assignment works for me.

Ken
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: Keith McCloghrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:02:40 -0700 (PDT)

> current assignment works for me.
 
Note also that the DESCRIPTION clause in
ftp://venera.isi.edu/mib/ianaiftype.mib says:

               The relationship between the assignment of ifType
               values and of OIDs to particular media-specific MIBs
               is solely the purview of IANA and is subject to change
               without notice.  Quite often, a media-specific MIB's
               OID-subtree assignment within MIB-II's 'transmission'
               subtree will be the same as its ifType value.
               However, in some circumstances this will not be the
               case, and implementors must not pre-assume any
               specific relationship between ifType values and
               transmission subtree OIDs."

Keith.