Subject: (ION) IP over DL-CORE(FR relay)

From: "pratap singh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:59:20 PST

Hi all,
I was just going through the Q.922 specifications and the RFC 1490.
Can the Control field be absent in case of it being negotiated between 
the two end-stations. If not what should be the problem in doing so??? 
Regards,
prats

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 13:29:09 -0500 (EST)

Prats,

> the two end-stations. If not what should be the problem in doing so??? 

RFC 1490 (and draft-ietf-ion-fr-update-04.txt) does not support
negotiating out the control field - the octet is required.  Adding this
sort of feature would greatly complicate implementations in order to
try to save one octet - which, in most cases (such as IPv4) would have
to be replaced by a pad octet in order to maintain 16-bit data
alignment. 

Cheers,
Andy
________________________________________________________________________
Andrew G. Malis  [email-masked]  phone:978 952-7414   fax:978 392-1484
Ascend Communications, Inc.        1 Robbins Road     Westford, MA 01886