Subject: (ION) New I.D. - Differentiated Services over Symmetric NHRP Shortcuts

From: Steve Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 98 09:35:56 +0000

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

Network Working Group                            Turner S.,Staegemeir B.
INTERNET DRAFT                                         SITA / Equant R&D
Expires September 1998                                        March 1998

          Differentiated Services over Symmetric NHRP Shortcuts
                   <draft-turner-diff-nhrp-00.txt>

   The goal of this contribution is to suggest how the Next Hop
   Resolution Protocol (NHRP) may be extended and deployed in 
   conjunction with the IP ToS octet (DS-Byte) to create both 
   differentiated forwarding and differentiated class of service over
   an NBMA network such as ATM or Frame-Relay. 

The proposal is to use the extensions part of the NHRP resolution request and 
resolution reply messages, to carry ToS information, and to create 
bi-directional shortcuts that are ToS specific.  The intention is to keep the 
extensions generic, although the mechanism itself mandates the availability of 
an L2 "sub-addressing" capability for NHRP clients and servers.

This mail has been sent to both diff-serv and ion since the subject relates to 
both contexts.

Cheers,

Steve Turner / Bernd Staegemeir

SITA R&D
Nice, France

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.