Subject: Re: ipNetToMediaPhysAddress

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 97 10:17:36 EST

Paul,

>Ok, so the problem is that I was looking at AtmAddr (since the
>NetToMedia table doesn't use IpoaAtmAddr) and that definition is
>obsolete.  I'll just use what it says for IpoaAtmAddr then.

RFC2011 defines ipNetToMediaPhysAddres as a PhysAddress which is
imported from SNMPv2-TC. SNMPv2-TC defines this as:

 PhysAddress ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    DISPLAY-HINT "1x:"
    STATUS       current
    DESCRIPTION
            "Represents media- or physical-level addresses."
    SYNTAX       OCTET STRING

As you have said, just use IpoaAtmAddr.

>Also, what does "E.164 encoded in native format" mean?  The only
>native format I know of for E.164 is BCD encoding.  Is the 15-byte
>encoding supposed to be one digit per byte?  Bizarre.  If so, is that
>ascii digits or binary digits?  It has to be stated somewhere around
>here (since I don't think it's anywhere else).

E.164 encoded in native format means 15 octets in ASCII format as
oppose to a 8 octet BCD encoded one.

>Incidentally, I'm having trouble coming up with words strong enough to
>express my opinion about this particular encoding technique.

> kennethw> At this time I prefer to see if I can add some comments to
> kennethw> the description clause of the IpoaAtmAddr and forget about
> kennethw> attempting to import AtmAddr as part of the review process.

>Sounds ok.  I guess we can push on the NetToMedia issue in the Atom
>MIB discussion rather than the Ipoa MIB discussion.

I don't think there is an issue with ipNetToMediaPhysAddress. I've
always thought that it was implementation dependent as to its actual
content. I will add a clarifying comment on this in the IPOA-MIB.

Ken