Subject: (ION) IPng Over ATM - Opinions solicited

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 98 12:07:44 -0500

Hi All,

I am a graduate student of Computer Science in Temple Univ., Philadelphia.
I am doing a independent study on the topic "IPng over ATM". As part of
the course work I am collecting information regarding all related
standards in my IPng page, http://nimbus.ocis.temple.edu/~sathya/ipng-atm/ .
I am also writing abstracts based on my understanding of what I read.

I am sure everybody will agree with me that it is important to make the learning
process easy, for the success of IPng (of any protocol for that matter). Even 
though what I have managed to do may not be really good, I am hopeful it will 
be a good starting point. I want to make it a good tutorial Page for people
interested in IPng and ATM.

I think it will better if I get input from others (with more experience) in
this field regarding the contents and the organization. I request you all to 
visit my IPng page (whenever you find time !!!)  and send me suggestions. I 
am prepared to put in the time if I get good feedbacks/ideas to improve my 
IPng page.

Thankx in advance,

regards
Sathya
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Michael Smirnow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 11:20:18 +0200

On Wed Apr  1 01:29 Vadim Antonov replied to Albert Manfredi

<...>
> > For exactly the same reasons. Not because people are
> > stupid, but because a widely used standard becomes at the same time
> > an impediment to progress. Standards impede progress, eventually.
> > Happens every _single_ time. Yet, nothing in this business can
> > succeed without standards. Catch 22.
> 
>  If you think that Internet works because of standards you're in a state
>  of serious denial.  Most RFCs are just junk.  The "standard" ones typically
>  either obsolete or require quite creative interpretation - if you want to end
>  up with a working system.   Or try to find formal description of such critical
>  things as TCP congestion avoidance (hint: it is not in RFCs) or the iBGP
>  hack.

Let me say: [real-life] standards do NOT impede progress: recall (e.g. from 
Don Stokes), Why the wheel spacing is 4'8.5" since the Roman Empire.
IP seems to be a real-life one while TCP congestion avoidance is
not so obvious. On the other hand, I guess there are hundreds of
"formal descriptions" around which better should stay out of RFCs.
I believe that Internet runs because of real-life standards (not RFCs!
When you make "quite creative interpretation" of an RFC you are just 
extracting a real-life part of the RFC, but very few people take an
effort of thinking about and standardizing postfactum what have been 
extracted during this interpratation).

Michael
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Paiva, Pedro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 12:34:17 -0000

Vadim,

>ATM is natural only for a bellhead's mind bent on per-minute charges.

Well if the bellheads and the netheads would be more realistic and
forget
their religious wars, we might get the different best solutions for
different
problems... ;-)

Cheers,

Pedro

************************************************************************
****
Pedro "Hawkeye" PAIVA                                           Tel:
+41.22.869.86.81
Network Consultant / EPFL Engineer                    Fax:
+41.22.348.31.33
WorldCom SA
GSM:+41.79.310.24.08
28, rue de Geneve                                      E-mail:
[email-masked]
CH-1225 Chene-Bourg (Geneva)             
Switzerland              	                                      ATM: All
 That  Magic!
************************************************************************
****