Subject: Re: Tired of Waiting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 11:00:52 -0700 (PDT)

Be very careful about "perpetual care" pricing.  ANSI adpted it for X.400
ADMD and X.500 Distinguished Names, and came to a price od $2000.

The problem is that perpetual care requires that the initial (only) fee
must b large enough to endow care and feeding of the administrative
requirements for ever, hence the fee must yield a large enough capital
investment to provide for perpetual care.

I call this "Cemetary Plot Economics"...  
I think you do not really want to go there.

A reasonable contractual guarantee of price levels should suffice.

Cheers...\Stef

At 10:02 14/7/98 -0700, Christopher Ambler wrote:
>>If their contact includes terms that guarantee *future* prices, then you'd
>>have a cause of action. If not, you're probably out of luck.
>
>
>As I've said, Image Online Design has been advocating this for over a
>year now, but the "non-profit-only" proponents seem to want to ignore it.
>
>How about another possibility: a registry charges a SINGLE ONE-TIME
>FEE for registration, with NO YEARLY RENEWALS. Updates to the
>domain are charged a flat $5 per change, and this, too, is contractually
>locked. You now have a FLAT RATE WITH NO POSSIBILITY OF CHANGE.
>
>You now have TWO solutions to this problem.
>
>As I've said, there is no economic reason to mandate an absence of
>profitable registries. None.
>--
>Christopher Ambler
>Personal Opinion Only

---

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 21:38:51 -0700

>ADMD and X.500 Distinguished Names, and came to a price od $2000.

Hear, hear. Every business I know that's tried this has been buried by it.
The more common form is selling a software package once, with free
unlimited support. Been dere, done dat, never again. Support costs eat you
alive, especially when you get calls on a package that went out of
production four years ago.

>>profitable registries. None.

___________________________________________________ 
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993) 
e-mail: <mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
___________________________________________ 
SecureMail from MHSC.NET is coming soon!