Subject: Re: Tired of Waiting

From: "Richard J. Sexton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 12:55:18 -0400 (EDT)

At 12:48 PM 7/16/98 -0400, John Charles Broomfield wrote:
>Well, if that is the case, and seeing that Chris can sell at $35/yr, with
>registrar AND registry integrated, why doesn't he divest from the registry
>part, just stick to the registrar part, and bundle in with CORE. 

Why doesnt CORE just use IOD instead of emergent?

I suppose the answer is, Chris, like many of us feel
anybody should be allowed to buy a domain direclty
without *having* to go through a middleman that does
nothing except click on a web form anf mark it up
as a memebr of a club where dollars, not clues, are the
price of entry.

--
The most important thing in the programming language is the name.  A
language will not succeed without a good name.  I have recently invented
a very good name and now I am looking for a suitable language.
     -- D. E. Knuth, 1967

---

From: John Charles Broomfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:12:11 -0400 (AST)

Hi Richard,

> Why doesnt CORE just use IOD instead of emergent?

Well, IOD didn't try to get the contract up for grabs. I don't know when the
contract goes "up for grabs" again, but at that time, IOD could easily try
to get the contract. Of course, they'd have to understand that they don't
*own* ".web" and could be outbidded next time around.

> as a memebr of a club where dollars, not clues, are the

If that's all that has to be done by the registrar, then why is Chris
gouging (sp?) people for $35? Why is he getting a markup profit of $25 over
his $10 cost for doing NOTHING? Anyone will tell you that a level of profit
like that is something that will get looked at very closely if there's a
monopoly situation (as Chris would like).

Yours, John Broomfield.

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:59:50 -0400

> Why doesnt CORE just use IOD instead of emergent?

IOD didn't bid on the contract. Emergent bid on the contract.

> as a memebr of a club where dollars, not clues, are the

You are totally mischaracterizing the system.

The central locking database maintained by CORE is just that -- a
database. It is not a business. It isn't set up to take payments, make
payments, handle incoming orders, handle phone support or phone calls,
or any of the other things that would make it a business. It is just
an organization that maintains an Oracle database in a closet. The
registrars are not "middle men". They are doing virtually all of the
actual work.

The only thing the CORE database does is make sure that they don't
step on each other's feet and provide a central source for the DNS
information to be generated from.

Perry