Subject: (ION) IP over ATM message delivery question

From: Florin Lohan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:00:17 -0200

Hi !

I have a question regarding the IP over ATM. I would appreciate any
comment !

If I have an IP message, after the addressing problem is solved, how is
the IP message sent to the destination (supposing it is in the same
ATM network) ?
A SVC is probably established, but what happen after the message is
transmitted ? Is the VC closed ? If I want to send a 500Mb/s stream
between 2 ATM hosts using IP, how are the things going ? Is there
an adaptive algorithm for creating/closing channels between the 2
hosts ? Where I can find the parameters of this algorithm if this is
the case ? Is this a standard or is implementation dependent ?
And what if I have 2 streams, first of 400MB/s between host1
and host2, and the second of 100MB/s between host1 and host3 ?
How is the bandwidth split in this case ? Is it any place where
I can find any documentation about this ?

Thank you in advance, and sorry if this is a stupid or a FA question.
Im am quite new in this domain (and on this list).

Regards,
Florin Lohan

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: manujp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 98 17:35:00 PDT

The SVC is not immediately closed , but is left open for a timeout period   
, before which if no data flows across it ,
it is closed. You can use the same SVC to send the data bothways.
But thrashing of VC's could happen if both the hosts try to set up a   
connection at the same time.
Handling that would be implementation dependant. (?)

You'll want to refer to the classic 2 and also the mib draft docs.(It's   
on the IETF serevr www.ietf.org ) I think a new RFC 22* supercedes 1577   
the old RFC for IPOA)

regards,
 -Manu

 -----Original Message-----
From: owner-ion [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, April 24, 1998 12:00 PM
To: ion
Subject: (ION) IP over ATM message delivery question

Hi !

Regards,
Florin Lohan