Subject: (ION) Diff-ser NHRP proposal

From: Albert Manfredi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 18:19:57 -0500

I read through _Differentiated Services over Symmetric NHRP
Shortcuts_
<draft-turner-diff-nhrp-00.txt>. Assuming I understand it correctly,
I believe that what it proposes for differentiated services is what
I would have expected as being the "NHRP approach to RSVP" as well.

Agreed?

I'm not very familiar with diff-serv yet (seems like a sort of
streamlined RSVP), but I gather it's a way of putting the TOS byte
to good use and _not_ depend on the "pretend I'm circuit switched"
nature of RSVP. So this I-D wants to establish shortcuts based not
_just_ on the layer 3 address of source and destination, like
regular NHRP, but also on the QoS implications of that TOS byte. So
potentially one might have more than one shortcut SVC established
between source and destination, each of these SVCs with different
QoS.

And to differentiate between these SVCs between A and B, the I-D
proposes to use the SEL byte. And finally, each shortcut SVC is
bi-directional and symmetric.

So my questions would be (a) is this any different because the IP
dimension of it is diff-serv rather than RSVP, and (b) other than
attempting to match ATM QoS with RSVP QoS, were there any similar
I-Ds for use of NHRP with RSVP?

Bert
[email-masked]
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.