Subject: RE: (ION) Mobile solution

From: "Paiva, Pedro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 14:53:39 -0000

Bert,

Although not familiar with the other similar proposals, I must say I
find yours very
attractive. Could you please elaborate on point 8 (motion vectors for
the smooth
transition)?

Cheers,

Pedro
*****************************************************************
Pedro "Hawkeye" PAIVA                Voice:  +41.22.869.86.81
Network Consultant                   Fax:    +41.22.348.31.33
WorldCom SA                          GSM:    +41.79.310.24.08
28, rue de Geneve                    E-mail: [email-masked]
1225 Chene-Bourg (Geneva)             
Switzerland              	      	   ATM: All That Magic!
*****************************************************************
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: Albert Manfredi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 10:37:48 -0500

Paiva, Pedro wrote:
> attractive.

Thanks. I too am not familiar with other similar proposals, which is
why I wanted to suggest this. The other proposals I _am_ aware of
use the concept of a "home server" that needs to keep track of the
mobile unit. Which requires both the mobile unit and any other unit
wanting to reach that mobile unit to contact that home server. To
me, this is laborious and kludgey, and involves numerous
long-distance "conversations" when perhaps none are needed.

I do admit that in terms of billing, with current billing methods,
this kludgey approach has benefits. But it seems wrong to me to
cripple the engineering solution only to allow continued use of
archaic billing methods.

> Could you please elaborate on point 8 (motion vectors for
> the smooth
> transition)?

All I was saying there was that as the mobile unit nears the edge of
coverage of its current address prefix, a smooth transition to the
new prefix will be required. And I'm postulating the use of
predictive techniques to make this transition happen before the line
goes dead.

The most important thing is to have the mobile unit and the unit it
is communicating with shift over quickly. Updating the mobile
address database (directory) is much less time-critical.

Bert
[email-masked]
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.