Subject: Re: Tired of Waiting

From: "Christopher Ambler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:54:26 -0700

>In other words, it's *critical* that the *Registry* for a new TLD be
operated
>as a public trust, not as someone's way to "make money fast".
>
>(If you don't see why for-profit, but competing, Registries don't work, ask
>yourself how you'd feel once your snappy URL http://my_name.new_tld/foo/bar
>is embedded in 10,000 web pages world-wide, and your for-profit Registry
then
>ups the rate to $1,000 per month....)

This argument has been countered, time and again.

The registry in question is willing to guarantee, contractually, that the
price
of the SLD shall not be raised over the term of the registration. The term
may be at the buyer's discretion. How about 10 years? Now you don't
have this problem.

There are ABSOLUTELY NO economic reasons to limit registries to
non-profit only. None. I'm willing to let this issue wait, if you are, as
I've
said. Much like Dave replying to Jeff, I'm only pointing this out to
someone who appears new on the scene.

--
Christopher Ambler
Personal Opinion Only

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 14:43:33 -0400

> This argument has been countered, time and again.

No, it has just be denied by individuals like you who want to make
money by getting a profitable monopoly on public resources. The bulk
of the community has a pretty obvious interest in the other direction.

Perry

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 12:51:46 -0700

Is there anything to gain from this thread?

If there isn't, let's drop it.