Subject: (ION) nhrp: frame relay support?

From: "Paul Henri" <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Feb 1998 16:35 EST

Hi,

Question: What is the current state of standardization for nhrp over
frame relay? I have seen next to nothing on this topic.

Secondly, 

Why is nhrp over lane not expilicitly supported?  Transmission of
requests and replies between lane clients seems trivial, and lane v2
encapsulation for multiplexed vccs is strictly llc/snap. The desire
for shortcuts extending to non-routing edge devices seems to have
motivated the mpoa design, but that means L2 devices are now poking
around at L3. With routing and lane, nhc's and lec's are a natural
fit: the nhc has an ip address and the lec has at least one atm
address; Flow detection can be done at L3 and above (something easy
for routers). 

It seems that some vendors with lane support use a rfc1483-style vcc
to interconnect nhs's (co-located with a lec). If this is so, this
might be wasteful. Why not use the exiting data direct vccs for the
same purpose?

Thanks,
pdh
---
Paul Henri
[email-masked]

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.