Subject: (ION) Protocol Action: IPv6 over Non-Broadcast Multiple Access (NBMA) networks to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 08:48:16 -0500

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts as
Proposed Standards:

o IPv6 over Non-Broadcast Multiple Access (NBMA) networks
  <draft-ietf-ion-ipv6-02.txt>

o IPv6 over ATM Networks
  <draft-ietf-ion-ipv6-atm-03.txt>

These documents are the product of the Internetworking Over NBMA
Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas
Narten.

Technical Summary
 
 The document "IPv6 over Non-Broadcast Multiple Access (NBMA)
 networks" provides a framework for how to run IPv6 over NBMA
 link types (e.g., ATM, Frame Relay, etc.). It provides a basis for
 companion documents (e.g., "IPv6 over ATM Networks") to define
 specific items that are by their nature link-layer specific. The
 first document also defines how a client can use use Neighbor
 Discovery to request NBMA shortcuts (i.e., to initiate NHRP
 services). The MARS model is assumed,  allowing Neighbor
 Discovery to be used (Neighbor Discovery assumes multicast is
 available on a specific link-layer.) The two documents together
 define how to run IPv6 over ATM networks for both SVCs and PVCs.

Working Group Summary

 There was consenus in the WG for this approach, and no issues were
 raised during the Last Call.

Protocol Quality

 This specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten
 and Jeffrey Burgan.

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.