Subject: Re: (ION) ILMI-Based Server Discovery

From: Tim Salo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 18:53:10 -0600 (CST)

> I'm not familiar with 'ATMDHCP'. Is there a draft for this? 

I'm not familiar with it either; I just made it up.

About I know about an alleged ATMDHCP is:

o	The Cisco ATM Cable Interface Processor (ACIP) claims to
	support DHCP, in conjunction with Terayon's TeraComm System
	equipment (http://www.teracomm.com/), over cable TV systems.
	Apparently, the ACIP uses a PVC to "each active subscriber
	modem.  PVCs are created automatically..."
	See: http://cio-sys.cisco.com/warp/public/730/AIP/acip_ov.htm and
	http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7505/
		7310cfig/4256acip.htm

o	Join Systems, Inc. claims that their DHCP product supports
	"TCP/IP and ATM networks", (http://www.join.com/dhcp.html).
	I have no other information about how the Join Systems ATM/DHCP
	solution works.

o	IANA assigned a BOOTP/DHCP extension number for use by "DHCP
	relay agents which terminate switched or permanent circuits".
	http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/
		bootp-dhcp-extensions/bootp-dhcp-option-83

o	E-mail to the IETF DHC and ION working groups asking if anyone
	knew anything about DHCP over ATM networks has received no
	responses.

Beyond that, it seems to me that we all ought to be a bit embarrassed that,
and someone please correct me if I am wrong, IETF protocols don't support
DHCP over ATM networks.

-tjs
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: Mike Davison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 20:40:07 -0800

> I'm not familiar with it either; I just made it up.

Ok, I've thought about this in the past and would be happy to write up
a strawman 'dhcp over atm' document. I'd be happy to work with others 
too if there's interest. Anyone care one way or the other?

> 	http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7505/

I believe that cable architectures require the set-top boxes (stb) to
always send to the head end. This makes the 'where do I send this dhcp
request' question pretty simple to answer. I'm sure someone more knowledgable
about cable networks will tell me why I'm insane.

> and someone please correct me if I am wrong, IETF protocols don't support

At least a clear description of the various ways of using dhcp over atm
does not exist in the form of an ietf rfc. 

Mike