Subject: (ION) ILMI-Based Server Discovery

From: Dan Grossman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 17:11:11 -0500

Small nit with all the drafts:

      atmfSrvcRegServiceID - This is the service identifier which
          uniquely identifies the type of service at the address
          provided in the table. (See Appendix for MARS OID.)
                                       ^
                    Shouldn't this be Section 2.2?

Rgds
Dan

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Albert Manfredi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 17:42:53 -0500

Isn't this what anycast is for? Who is saying you need emulated
broadcast? By the way, H&J now offer MARS, at last, and MARS is
primarily for multicast, not broadcast. Broadcast is a special case.

Bert
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Salo <[email-masked]>

>I think using ILMI to learn the address of one or more servers is
useful.
>However, I have some concerns about using MARS to find a DHCP
server.
>
>My primary concern is that while using a broadcast service (either
native
>or emulated) to find a server may make sense in a local-area
network, it
>probably doesn't make sense in a wide-area network.  I think we
should
>re-affirm the long-standing IETF strategy of developing protocols
for
>wide-area networks and then applying them in local environments,
(numerous
>counter-examples notwithstanding).
>
>I am also concerned that the IETF solution for IP broadcast over
NBMA
>networks has not found market acceptance.  The last time I wanted
to
>buy a MARS server, I was unable to find any commercial product.
>
>Does anyone know of any commercial ATM products that provide a MARS
>server?
>
>-tjs
>
>[Gratuitous whining section]
>
>(Using a emulated broadcast function on NBMA networks to support IP
>protocols that require a link-level broadcast is what I sometimes
>call the "make everything look like an Ethernet" strategy.)