Subject: (ION) draft-ion-multiprotocol-atm-00 question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 15:26:56 +0100

Hi !
I just read the new draft concering the update of RFC 1483, and i 
stumbled over two things in the Appendix D that i'd like to ask about.

The both deal with the text about LANE.

"Broadcast and Unicast Server" 
=> isn't it "Unknown Server"
"LANE always uses the LLC/SNAP encapsulation. "
=> I thought that this was only used on the Data Direct VCC's and 
that one used the non-multiplexed format for Control VCC's

Any comments ?

Regards
Taisto Qvist
Network Teacher/Consultant
Network Management
Sweden
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: Dan Grossman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 13:41:38 -0500

Taisto,
Thanks for the comments.  To be honest, Appendix D was written on an airplane, 
from memory, in haste, without the reference documents in front of me.  
Apparently memory did not serve.

> => isn't it "Unknown Server"

You're right.  I think that the name changed at some point during the protocol 
development, but the old name stuck in my mind for some reason.

> that one used the non-multiplexed format for Control VCC's
The format used on the LE Config Direct, Control Direct and Control 
Distribute VC is, as you suggest, not an encapsulation. The format for the 
Data Direct, LE Multicast Send and Multicast Forward is aligned with the VC 
multiplexed encapsulation, except that the padding can be replaced with the LE 
client ID.  

Perhaps somebody who is more conversant with LANE than I am can comment 
further.

Otherwise, I'd suggest words to the effect of:
"LANE uses the VC multiplexing encapsulation formats for Bridged 
Ethernet/802.3 (without LAN FCS)  or Bridged 802.5 (without LAN FCS) for the 
Data Direct, LE Multicast Send and Multicast Forward VCCs.  However, the 
initial PAD field described in this memo is used as an LE header, and might 
not be set to all '0'."

Rgds
Dan